Exhaust manifold needs machining

Rodney_Hamon

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Matt brings up a good point.

One other thing to remember is installing the hardware.  Mopar used special washers and nuts in specific locations to ensure the manifold could move with out cracking as it heated up.  Here's a good thread on that

Yeah, good point about using the correct hardware.  I should have mentioned that.  The correct hardware is very important.  Using the wrong hardware will eventually cause one or both the manifolds to crack (I think it's more an issue with the exhaust manifold).

Edited by Matt Wilson

70 thousandths. It was a lot. That manifold is solid and no budge whatsoever. Absolutely agree to everything everyone is cautioning me on. I have the correct hardware and lol I have a can of spare bolts and nuts like that thread. Loved that thread as it’s invaluable. This will be my fifth manifold job and over the years I have bolted on the assembly a little loose and then tightened up to ensure no cracking. This will be the first time doing it machined as a whole. I put that starrett on and it is darn good. Tolerance measured across with a phone book page lifting the edge of the starrett-dropping it and feeling how snug against the paper it is across every flange. It’s how we determined level on the printing matrices and accepted tolerance for ink, rollers and plate beds when I used to teach and print professionally. Exhaust even. Intake even with only a .couple spots a second sheet made it more snug. Gaskets certainly can compensate for that. This is not my preferred way to bolt it on but in this case I will temporarily do it. This kinda reminded me when I bolted on the exhaust manifolds on a fresh 327 short block years ago. No gaskets. Yes, I had a fling in my Twenties with a ‘64 corvette stingray but I came back to mopar. Ha.   Thanks everyone for your advice. I’m loving your sage!

3E6054F7-DC64-4A25-80E0-CF2F73F09C18.jpeg

22 hours ago, Rodney_Hamon said:

Just returned home with my machined exhaust assembly.  Super nice guys but very busy.  I think they felt sorry for me and only charged $50.  .0070 taken off. That’s a lot.  First they put it on the belt sander for short periods of time to keep from heating up and warping. In the end it was taking too much time so they milled the rest. I’m thankful they did it.   I will clean, paint, and install next week.  Everything is set up for this manifold: pipes and tapped holes for the linkage. Eventually I’ll get another manifold to split correctly.  Success. 

I'm confused.  Did they take off .0070, which is what you wrote (which is 7 thousands), or .0700 (which is 70 thousands)?  (Normally 70 thousands would be written as .070.)

Edited by Eneto-55

It took me a couple days taking my time to fuss over the installation and cleaning stuff and it’s done. Seems there is always one thing I do and I wonder why I did it. I applied a thin brushing of aviators cement to the manifolds side of the new gaskets. Block side was left dry. Reasoning was to keep the gaskets from moving around. Applied a tad of Blue #2 sealant to the 3 bolts going into the water jacket. The truck started immediately and ran nicely. Then some minor burning off/smoke of the aviator adhesive.  I turned off the engine and let it cool. I did this 3 times as the minor smoke bothered me and then I questioned myself.  I’m sure it’s fine but jeez. I didn’t trust myself with a dry assembly. 

134E54E7-5815-43C5-B607-4D68DBB5074A.jpeg

I am going with bras nuts on my exhaust connections, simply because in the past I have had issues disassembling rusted together steel nuts and bolts in the exhaust system.  Now I don't even live anywhere near where they use salt, so I can't imagine what that would be like.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

I am going with bras nuts on my exhaust connections, simply because in the past I have had issues disassembling rusted together steel nuts and bolts in the exhaust system.  Now I don't even live anywhere near where they use salt, so I can't imagine what that would be like.

Nuts from a bra????

RUN!

RUN RIGHT NOW,AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Rodney_Hamon said:

I tried to find brass nuts but nobody has them. I have to order online. I could only find grade 8 fasteners in all the stores

You can always find brass hardware at boat dealerships.

Huh. That’s good to know. Marine grade paint and nuts from bras.  I’m heading to a safe coast. Ha. My latest issue is the local county dump transfer station stopped taking recycled oil and antifreeze. Damn. Found an autozone nearest to me that takes the oil. Always something anymore