Potential purchase help

I have an opportunity to buy this dodge truck and I was hoping you gents could help me out with a few questions. I am much more familiar with 50’s dodge and Fargo’s, not these earlier beauties.

The truck is a rolling shell so it has no motor or transmission, and is also missing the hood ornament and tail gate.

The truck is surprisingly rust free and has that great patina that everyone is looking for these days.

My questions are, how possible would you think it would be to find an appropriate engine and transmission for this truck?

How easy will it be to find a hood ornament abs tailgate for it?

Anyone got a guess as to the exact year of the truck?

aAnd finally, the big question; what would you value this truck at as it sits?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

21 minutes ago, fireguyfire said:

Sorry gents, I’m having trouble figuring out how to resize the photos on my iPhone so that they will be small enough to post.

I’ll keep working on it

I use the app Image Size on my iPhone and it does a great job resizing, and also seems to prevent them from rotating when uploading them.

I would guess it is 46 or 47? Not really familiar with that body style.

Any flathead should work .... depending on where the truck was built. You have a Fargo, are you in Canada?

I understand Canada cars all used the 25" flatheads while if the truck is U.S. built it probably had a 23" engine.

The 23" has changed some but very little since 1935. 49 was the last year of the 3 speed floor shift ... you would not have the column shift linkage in this truck.

Value is between you and the seller. I gave away 2 pilothouse trucks that were complete just to keep them out of the scrap yard. Would cost too much to move them to my new house 1200 miles away. Then paid top dollar for my next one $1800.  But with minor work was able to start it and can drive it in the yard with no brakes ... it was complete.

How much rust will you need to fix? Floors and rear cab would almost be a guarantee. How is the frame? I am sure you can find just about every part you need for it. Old Dodges do not have a high resale value.

I would guess top dollar for that truck minus motor/trans $1k would be high. No tailgate, hood ornament and what else will you find missing? Is the radiator, drive line there? how many other parts was removed?

I would say in my opinion I would start around $600 for that truck in the condition it is. If I really wanted it, and the frame and body was really solid and make a easy driver.

Mayby as high as $1200?  In the big picture, whats a few hundred dollars in a project you will spend $5k and 300 hours on?

Thanks @Jerry Robertsthat changes everything. May change availability of parts and value of truck.

Something looks off on this photo. possibly the bed modified and moved back. Then sheet metal added around the lower side of the bed to the fender.

Looks like the fender is loose from the running board and hanging low. That could be the only issue. Add 3/4" bed wood and then raise fender to correct height.

May center the wheel again ... just something I would want to diagnose while making a bid on it.

46.jpeg

That is a gem! They dont make em any more. If it was local to me i wouldnt think twice about dropping 2 grand on it. 
powertrain? Tba. 
if its staying untouched body wise i think i would find a sensible chassis to go under it. 

I don’t have any more photos and the owner is on holidays until August 16th.

The truck looks unmolested other than some farmer fixes, and I’m 99% sure it’s on the original frame.

The box does seem a bit wonky as there is no floor (the wood is gone) or tailgate so I figured it has sat so long that the tops of the box sides have sagged outward a slight bit.

I will do a much more thorough look when the owner is back and I will share more details then.

Maybe these trucks are worth more here in western Canada as a few local old dodge truck gurus I’ve talked to are saying $2500-$3000 Canadian would be a steal.

That is a 1940 and the hood ornament is 1940 only. It's a leaping ram. I think the more common 41-47 ornament fits but isn't correct. I believe it still has the original frame and the bed is probably in pretty decent shape since that front hanger grease fitting still looks centered in the hole. Fyi those under bedside to running board filler is OEM. Tailgate is available repro. Engine and transmission shouldn't be too hard to find. Fair amount of guys with parts trucks or building hotrods. 

4 minutes ago, fireguyfire said:

Just for education young Ed; how can you tell for sure from the photos that the truck is a 1940?

The headlights being inboard of the fender peaks is 39-40 only. The 39s weren't sealed beam so that makes it a 40. That grill with the individual Vs is also 40 only. 

Looking at the pictures I don't see any rust though and the fenders as well as the rest of the body don't appear dented and beat up. Stainless trim, gauges and looks like a front bumper are still in place. That is a nice start. $2500 Canadian would be about $2k US and a reasonable price if you look it over and there are no other surprises. What it comes down to is if you have been looking for a truck like this and feel this is a project you would enjoy doing and within your capabilities it would be money well spent.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on this truck; I keep chatting with the owner and I think I am getting very close to owning this truck.

Ive also learned a couple of more good details; he has the tailgate for it and it’s in good shape, as well as a windshield visor that came on it. The truck also has the original engine and transmission in it, but I’m guessing the engine is badly stuck as there is no carb on it and a lot of the bolt on pieces are missing.

he removed the tailgate and sun visor years ago after the hood ornament was stolen and he was worried about them disappearing as well.

can anyone post a photo of what the correct hood ornament would be fir a 1940 half ton? I believe someone stated they were a 1 year only ornament.

Im going to need to track one down when I (hopefully) get this truck.

Good luck with the purchase! 
after repowering my 51 i have no regrets. Another member had a steering box,and i managed to tighten up the steering. 60 mph with one hand on the wheel is do-able now. 

if i was to do this again,my time and money would be better spent on a more conventional chassis. Power steering, power brakes being high on my list. 

2 hours ago, fireguyfire said:

Just a quick update on this truck; I keep chatting with the owner and I think I am getting very close to owning this truck.

Ive also learned a couple of more good details; he has the tailgate for it and it’s in good shape, as well as a windshield visor that came on it. The truck also has the original engine and transmission in it, but I’m guessing the engine is badly stuck as there is no carb on it and a lot of the bolt on pieces are missing.

he removed the tailgate and sun visor years ago after the hood ornament was stolen and he was worried about them disappearing as well.

can anyone post a photo of what the correct hood ornament would be fir a 1940 half ton? I believe someone stated they were a 1 year only ornament.

Im going to need to track one down when I (hopefully) get this truck.

Yes they are a one year only ornament and to make it worse 39 looks very similar. I looked on eBay and couldn't find one for sale or even a recent listing. Not sure if that link will work if it doesn't just good 40 dodge good ornament

https://images.app.goo.gl/y37fi2xXiaZhnPQC9

• 1 month later...

D so it took some time to convince the owner to sell, but I secured the purchase of this truck today, and I am thrilled to get it!

so I will be needing a 1940 hood ornament if anyone has a line on one.

I’m also curious as to what type of hub caps this truck would have had when new. It’s a 1/2 ton and gas the basic steel wheels, and I’m guessing it would have had dog dish hubcaps?

if so, would they have said “Dodge” and what type of font? (I’ve seen a few different styles of dodge truck dog dish over the years).

just want to know what would be correct so I can start my hunt for 4 of them as well.