muffler choice

DJK

One of the first projects I had completed when I bought my sedan was a swap to headers and duals. Initially I used a set of 24” smithy’s but quickly grew to dislike the constant drone inside the cabin. Swapped them for a pair of thrush mufflers, still has the braap at take off but zero drone. 

• Like 2

Im really happy with my thrush welded mufflers. Putting around quiet, mid range not bad, highway the wind noise is louder than the exhaust. This is on my 51 Fargo, dual 2-1/4”. Pipes end ahead of back wheels. 

So everyone wants that thrahy sound and headers and the tuned exhaust system.  So I ask how many Harly davidson MC to you hear in a neigbor hood with the full coutout pipes early inthe morning or late at night when a MC rider comes into your neighborhood.  He is running loud pipes and you have a young child and he wants everyone to notice him and he wakes up your baby or young child.  I guess that makes you angry becasue now you have a hard time getting your child back to sleep.  

But the guy with th eloud pipes has his rights to have a loud bike.  So the same bikes passess you on a 4 lane highway and is sitting inthe left lane right at your drive side window with openpipes.  You sut the windows becsue of the noise level is so loud you cant even hear your radio.  You shut the  window and still loud.  You get mad and wish he would speedup turn off and the next exit.  But he has his rights but does not care about yours.

So lets all think about the loud pipes on our cars, the noise level in our cars, the noise level around our car and how it affects others. But the world currently is setup horray for me and the Hxll to the others around us.

Just gie it some thought.  You all will be at some point in time to agree about the extra loud nosie is not appreciated.

Rich Hartung

• Like 3

Start out with straight pipe, no muffler.  If you don't like that, throw a cheap 25 dollar cherry bomb on there. I like cherry bombs. I replace the one on my 59 f100 with a 223 about every 30k miles. Gets pretty loud. My 218 with cast headers is going straight pipe out of the back with chrome round tips. It all depends on what you want. Summit sells some cheap round glasspacks too.

Edited by allbizz49

10 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

But the guy with th eloud pipes has his rights to have a loud bike.

Actually, most states do have noise laws regarding exhaust systems, so no he doesn't have a right to loud pipes.  Not that they are enforced in general but a squeaky wheel might get some action.. 

Texas for example

https://texascarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/

enforcement is the primary cause and effect.....no inspections....folks will push the envelope.   Too many standards out there for X bikes of X year manufacture.   Some of the factory pipes for large bikes exceed 100 but below the 115db old rating....new bikes are being built to muffler ratings of about 80db where many states have 82-84db rulings this 80db muffler rating pretty much is a cover for all level of bike makers.....as laws and law enforcement varies from place to place you will always find those that exceed the limits....loud pipes does not NECESSARY save lives...they endanger more than they think.  Approaching from the rear on a major highway at speed...you never know they are there till they just beside you...some of these riders think it funny to blast the accelerator aside a driver's window....scaring the crap out of many drivers who swerve due to alarm and greatly incur risks of accidents.   I have seen this a number of times....it takes responsibility to safely drive a bike...not noise....to many myths out there.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, allbizz49 said:

Start out with straight pipe, no muffler.  If you don't like that, throw a cheap 25 dollar cherry bomb on there. I like cherry bombs. I replace the one on my 59 f100 with a 223 about every 30k miles. Gets pretty loud. My 218 with cast headers is going straight pipe out of the back with chrome round tips. It all depends on what you want. Summit sells some cheap round glasspacks too.

Allbizz: Yes you have the right for straight pipes and headers, But if you lived next to me in a neighborhood in a housing development and you keep waking me up every moring to go to work early in the moring Iwould be having an issue.  There are nosie restrictions and if your car is loud and say I work a night shift and your truck is disturbing my sleep during the hours that you are going to work that is a violation.  Most twps do not have a specific time frame for noise. it alldepends on how the nosie affect the people around your location.  So put this situation as you are onthe reciving end of the noise.

I am not trying to start arguments but trying to get people to understand how loud pipes loud motocyles pipe affect other people. Again there are restrictions and courtesies that people do not consider for other people. Again the Me generation and if i want the loud pipes the heck with everyone else they have to lie with the loud pipes.  If you lived out in the country farm land then not some much of an issue but inthe general population housing developments it is an issue.

And no i am not an old grumpy guy, We as a society have forgotten that other people around us also have rights.  So just look at the C 19 issues. People refuse to get the vaccination shots becsue their right to choice is being violated.  But they have that right, but when i was kid the Polio vaccine was found and the Govt mandated that everyone get the vacination. We did not know what the long term affect might be but we did know that it would prevent  us from being paralized or put into and iron lung and it stopped the spread of polio. Now off my soap box

rich Hartung

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guess I have out grown loud exhaust pipes long ago.  My single exhaust system has a dynomax turboflow on 2 inch I'd pipe.  It speaks a little, is just noticeable in the 45 to 55 range and is overcome by wind and tire noise above 55.  We had an Uber ride with a guy in a hemi charger.  It droned so much at 65, I told him to exit the highway and take surface roads after 5 minutes on the interstate.  At 65 the whole interior of the car vibrated disharmoniously.  Is that a word?

If I were to pick my favorite engine note it would be the sound of a stock mufflers on an Austin Healey 3000. But not the one with the side exit setup.

Edited by greg g

Straight pipes all the way out under the bumper really aren't that loud. Compared to the stock exhaust system, my little honda cb360 with stock pipes sounds like a roaring beast. I'm not one to have obnoxious cars and bikes. I ride Ducatis mostly and they can drown out a Harley with certain mufflers. I keep mine muffled but deep and throaty. I like hearing my motor run, especially these little flat sixes. They have a unique and distinct sound so why quiet them down to a whisper? There is a happy middle ground, just boils down to what a person wants 

Ny says no modifications which allow noise emissions over or above those of a factory equipped stock vehicle. But it all subjective with no published standards or dB meter readings or source to meter setup or directions.  So it basically subjective and patently uninforceable.  Where's the chart for a 46 plymouth?  You don't have one?  So you don't know.  So Mr Asst DA you need to toss this.

So has any body heard the hellcat, ram truck, camaro corvette, mustang super snake factory exhaust lately?

5 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

LP-2008__48183.1430976841.500.500__67936.1446740542.500.500.jpg

That attitude has gotten a number of MIlwaukee Vibrator operators called an unpleasant name when they do that next to me, especially at a light.  I make a point of making sure they know that too.  I find loud pipes tend to compensate for small manhoods.  Louder the bike, or bigger the pickup, the smaller the manhood of the driver.

• Like 1

The loud exhaust thing is not my favorite. The sound it makes when you get on the go pedal can be a little obnoxious,but under normal driving its acceptable. As a matter of fact i get comments that its not very loud. 

and loud pipes dont entitle operator to announce their presence 100% of the time. 
my neighbour has a harley with loud pipes, but i never really hear him go, or return home. 
kids with dirt bikes,if they arent in the powerband, the nois isnt bad. 

im 1500 feet from the highway, there are some really loud vehicles out there. 

why I said 50% of our bikers are ok chaps....they are loud but a couple of them are careful with the revs till they are out of the neighborhood before cracking the throttle....by that time it is not a sharp noise that hurts your ears.  Then as stated a few just got to be obnoxious in your face look at me I ride a noise maker.....its a cult thing.....all I can say...

I think of growing up, in the 80s, and exhausts were much quieter. All those restrictive converters; Dad had an 83 Chevy pickup and everything past the catalytic fell off. It was still quieter than many stock exhausts these days, and he never did replace the muffler. Now, he really liked loud pipes and I can remember several trucks he owned that were rather obnoxious. Me? Give me quiet power! I've also snuck up on some folks while entering a show field or parking lot. I do get a thrill out of the sound certain engines can make, but I also live fairly close to a highway. The BRAP of some of those pickup trucks gets old, but quick.

Here is all the good news bad news by state.  Also included is legislation suggesting exhaust systems are responsible  for the control of smoke and fumes.

Read em and weep!  You are all likely out of compliance.  Liscence registration  and insurance car please.

https://www.semasan.com/resources/exhaust-noise-laws-state

Edited by greg g

Here in Denmark, we're getting more and more of these fashionable battery operated vehicles.

They are too quiet. Suddenly they appear and drive fast past you. I think that's dangerous. Especially residential areas.

I prefer to be alerted by an engine's increasing sound coming towards you.

that sounds like a good argument for a car to have louder exhaust as they are the larger moving object capable of much damage......(see where this is going don't you)

also that is the why for all the other gizmos and gadgets encroachment alarms and what not...and in another sense dumbing drivers down to the point they are not as alert drivers as the car is doing making all perception predictions.

Thanks for all the replies. I am not looking for obnoxious loud, just a mellow tone. I ride my son's Yamaha Raider 1900 with straight pipes and a tuner, that is very loud!!! I have experienced a local idiot on a crotch rocket that feels the need to rev the engine as he passes you at a high rate of speed, not pleasant, he will be dealt with by the local authorities or hopefully a deer will jump out in front of him!!! I live out in the country and drive the vehicle a couple times a week, noise is not a concern.

PS Greg, had a DynoMax turbo flow on my 08 Nissan Frontier 4.0 6 speed manual, very mellow.

Edited by DJK
update