Scarebird disk brake conversion

I'd rather use their setup than the Rusty Hope version, mainly because it is a bolt on. I've contacted them in the past and got basically a single word answer, NO. That time I just asked if their kit, listed as fitting a 1/2 ton truck would fit my 3/4 ton truck. That was a pretty curt answer.

Since then I've found that there were two spindle sizes, 1.25 inner and 1.375 inner bearing. Mine has the 1.25 inner. Does anyone know if that is the same size as the 1/2 ton trucks?

It also has a .750 outer bearing.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, lostviking said:

I'd rather use their setup than the Rusty Hope version, mainly because it is a bolt on. I've contacted them in the past and got basically a single word answer, NO. That time I just asked if their kit, listed as fitting a 1/2 ton truck would fit my 3/4 ton truck. That was a pretty curt answer.

Since then I've found that there were two spindle sizes, 1.25 inner and 1.375 inner bearing. Mine has the 1.25 inner. Does anyone know if that is the same size as the 1/2 ton trucks?

Thanks.

My 1941 plymouth i/2 ton truck has a 1.25 inner diameter and an .75 outer diameter spindle . it should be the same for the other 1939 - 1947 i/2 ton trucks . 

The existing wheels are 5 lug, but have a larger bolt pattern. I knew that was going to change, so no big. The new rear axle I hope arrives some day is also a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I got a confirmation email from them and placed the order today. I hope this goes as well as it should.

I'll use a set of aluminum wheels I have with that bolt pattern, assuming the offset works. The ultimate plan is to get a set of steel wheels to fit, that have the clips for the hub caps. I have a nice set of original ones, that I spent a bit of time bringing back to a mirror finish. I want the stock look, but modern brakes and better gearing.

Thanks for sending your replies.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:40 PM, lostviking said:

Thanks.

The easiest way to be absolutely sure of the size is to look up the bearing number for your truck and the one used by the 1/2 ton.  With the age of our stuff, it is entirely possible that it may not be original.

edit:  I checked on Rockauto.  One inner bearing SKF 28682 is listed to fit the front/inner position on some Dodge trucks from 1947 through 2018!

Edited by kencombs

With the two diameters compared , and the mopar part numbers being the same , i would say that the answer to the question is yes , without a doubt .   

... "   Mine has the 1.25 inner. Does anyone know if that is the same size as the 1/2 ton trucks?

It also has a .750 outer bearing . ... "

• 2 weeks later...

Since it was three weeks in, I contacted them again yesterday. They said they had sent me an email telling me they were waiting for plated caliper mounting plates...I never delete any emails, didn't get one. I have emails back to 1993.

Anyway, they are sending me the kit with bare plates. I'll paint them before installing so I can get this project moving again. It's pretty hot in San Diego right now, so a day in the sun should bake that paint on pretty well.

I measured the bearing surface on the spindle and contacted them. I don't know about Rusty Hope. They have two kits, for different size bearings, so maybe you got the wrong one.

Anyway, my kit arrived. I've hit the mounting plates with some paint...so this weekend I can do the install. I'll take pictures. Unfortunately the hubs won't work with the Challenger wheels, so I'll have to either drill my stock ones, which I don't want to do, or get new 15 inch rims on 4.5 bolt circle. The clips for the hub caps are mounted right where the new holes would have to go, so that just isn't a good idea to me.

I'll source some steel wheels and move the clips to them.

Fun!

when I put Rusty's set up on my 1/2 I had the spindles drilled and tapped at local shop.  it was a tight fit but went together well.  I had Three problems, one the brake lines used with the kit wouldn't fit into the housing of the caliper so trimmed the metal for a fit, second they weren't long enough to fit to the original frame holes so I used brake mounting clips I had from a 50 dodge coupe to mount closer to disc.  The third item I didn't notice until I rolled the truck around some.  The bolts that mounted everything to the bottom of the spindle were a tad too long and rubbing the back of the rotor.  Removed and ground down enough for clearance.  Haven't tried them yet as truck is still being assembled but set up looks good.

One of the problems with this conversion, and the rear axle swap I'm doing...is the 5 on 5 bolt pattern for the 3/4 ton wheels. Both the front brakes, and the rear axle convert this to a more normal 5 on 4.5.

The easy thing is buy new wheels. But I wanted to keep the original looks, so steel wheels...and the original hub caps. That means a wheel that either already had the proper clips, or was compatible with me installing them. I haven't had much luck finding wheels that fit that requirement.

Then I stubbled on a solution. Wheel adapters. I found a set that adapts the 5x4.5 bolt circle to 5x5. They are 1-1/4 inches thick, so the wheel moves out some, but I measured and I have plenty of clearance between the bulge of the tire and the closest edge of the fenders. I bought them :) The suspension would never be compressed enough to get that close anyway, but at least I'm still good if it does.

The last parts I needed to get the front converted should be here tomorrow, and then I'm going to finally get the fronts at least started. I need the new master cylinder, and the flex brake lines to finish and bleed the new setup. The guy's at Scarebird advised you might need one of two lengths, so wait until you are doing the install and measure. I can do that.

Hope to be posting some pictures as requested tomorrow.

Edited by lostviking

OK, started the conversion today. I didn't take pictures of everything during the removal. Basically, take everything off to the spindles. There are two bolts above the spindle from the inside that retain the backing plate, and two large nuts on the end of the bottom swivel point bolts. On mine, one of those was rusted in place...maybe that was causing the front brake problems.

two bolts from inside small.jpg

two bolts from outside small.jpg

Edited by lostviking

Next is pretty straight forward. Clean the shipping coating off both of the races, pre-installed in the hub. Pack the bearings. Install the inner and seal. Put it on the spindle and install the outer the washer and the nut. Crank it down as you always do and install the cotter pin. Cover it up.

hub in place small.jpg

The next step is to put the rotor on, and that's where the day went south. The bore diameter of the rotors is around 2.78, but the hubs are just a bit over 2.80. I can't get in there square with my caliper, and I wasn't that interested enough yet to get out my mic's. 

Now the obvious answer is to open the rotor bore, but I'm checking with Scarebird first. The website listed one rotor, but the installation instructions they emailed me, and the printed copy I got with the kit both listed another.

Inquiring minds don't like conflicting instructions.

Edited by lostviking

What do you know, something went better than expected today. I got my wheel adapters in. Obviously the rotors are not on, but the thickness they add at the studs is not too much. I just tossed the adapters on, didn't bolt them down, then tossed a wheel back on the front to see what kind of clearance I was going to get.

No problem. I've got a lot more room than I was even hoping for, so I get to have all the modern stuff, and my original wheels too. Ya!

room to spare.jpg

Edited by lostviking
  • Like 1

Had some back and forth with Scarebird today about the rotors. They were sure that I had the wrong ones. I checked again (third time), no, they are the right ones. The installation instructions list three specific part numbers, NAPA, Wagner and Raybestos. Being thorough I looked them all up. Not one of them has a inner bore diameter that will fit over the 2.80 inch hub OD.

It's an easy mod to toss them in the lathe and open them up. I'll do that tomorrow.

I sent a nicely worded email to Scarebird, just letting them know what I had found out. Gave them the measurements for the various ID's and let them know that none would have fit...not without modification.

I do like the kit. It has nice parts, and I didn't have to modify anything on my truck...of course I haven't installed the calipers yet.

I don't think they would have any problems changing their design a bit. .020 total on the OD isn't much and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the strength. Maybe they will update, maybe they will tell people they have to modify the rotors.

Let's see how civil their response is, or if there even is one.

Update: After them asking and me sending my rotor ID, the NAPA, Wagner and Raybestos ID's...their comment was "Yay China". These were the advertised dimensions, not a defective part from China. Talk about blame gaming.

Edited by lostviking

Got the rotors machined and put one on after work today, just to be sure...put the wheel adapter on also. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow (Saturday) and finish the drivers side. I'll post the pictures when I'm done and then get the passenger side done.

I've got the new master cylinder to install, and I bought some Nicopp brake line and a proportioning valve that I need to get installed also. Busy day. But the front will be done. The rear end come next, but I can at least bleed the front brakes and check all that out.

Nice to get that part done and put the truck back on it's wheels. Especially nice that it will be the stock ones with those nice shinny hub caps I polished to mirrors.

Cya tomorrow.