Frustrations of getting the right part

Loren

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

Looks just like the one on my 51, might be factory, or swapped from a factory equipped one.

A quick check of my “new to me” Mopar parts book shows the “Sway Eliminator” to be the same P/N for 1949-54.

There is a possibility that some assembly points may have omitted the Sway Eliminator as a local cost saving measure.

One odd thing I noted is that the brackets which mount to the frame (for want of an official name) have no P/N and must be considered to be a part of “Shaft” P/N 1312-044

Another assumption I have from the parts book is that the Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler shaft may be heavier as those vehicles have a different P/N 1137-501 and are heavier themselves.

Because the shaft is so simple it would be very easy to bend up new and heavier shaft.

From a Hot Rod Magazine article 4140 material is suggested, bent by heating followed by a re-heat treatment to 45rc.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, Loren said:

I have more money in that clock than I do the radio....if only the radio worked as well.

If only there were still anything worth listening to on the AM broadcast band in the US! 

Very true!

However, it is very easy to add an AUX input jack and a Bluetooth Module so you can use your iPhone, iPad or other MP3 player for music or news.

SirrusXM can be had via the internet/cell phone data network, which of course costs money but isn't horrible if you don't drive the car for your commute.

When you use it that way you don't have to install an antenna.

One outfit I know of has a Bluetooth/FM module which has a remote, so you can have AM/FM and all the other stuff.

Any of the guys who repair tube radios can install these and other wonders.

www.retroradioshop.com has DIY AUX input kits