Compatibility of Parts

ChrisMinelli

Is there a good way to determine compatibility of different Mopar parts across different applications?

I have the Mopar parts manual so you can tell what part number goes to what make / model / year but that doesn’t help me much.  

If I have a 1947 dodge engine, for example, will the starter, generator, fuel and oil pumps, and manifold be compatible with a 1952 Plymouth?  What about the rear axle and diff assembly?  

Same question, but 1952 Dodge truck to 1952 Plymouth.  

Thanks!

If I understand your question, I suspect that you would need the parts manuals for each separate make, then compare the part numbers.  I do not know of any parts listing that covers all MoPars.  (If there was one, my Dad would have known about it, but he passed away last December, and Alzheimer's had already seriously affected his memory years ago.  But he worked as a parts man in a dealership in Tulsa from around 56 until some time in the 60's, and could still rattle off the part numbers for a lot of stuff when I got my 46 in 1980.)

Chris,

Ebay lists from time to time under 1948 Chrysler a parts compatibility book for (I think something like) 1942-1953 Chryslers/Mopars.

The guy listing them usually lists it around $45 with @ $4 S&H.

I think It also Lists under 1948 DeSoto etc.

Tom

http://www.jholst.net/interchange/  1949-1965

There is a whole section on engines covering 49 and up. There are 'interchange' books out there that cover older.

https://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric  from our very own @TodFitch  - Lots of older stuff

https://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/pw/pw_pif.pdf - Trucks

The Hollander Interchange  book will tell you all you need to know too.

Wrecking yards have used them for 70 years.

20210806_205435_compress20.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

30 years ago a mate here in Oz obtained the Auto Interchange Systems 1950-65 Chrysler Products Interchange Manual, dated 1979 by Auto Interchange Systems 3211 Robinwood Lane, Minnetonka, Minnesota 55343 and graciously let me photo copy all 176 pages........it covers all 5 Mopars brands, Plymouth,Dodge,DeSoto, Chrysler & Imperial           and has pics when needed..........I have no idea if it has any relationship to the Hollander Interchange manuals that are mentioned but I value it very highly, tho' as it only covers US mopars is no help for the Oz stuff.......in fact I have never heard of a similar tome ever being available for Oz cars.........sadly my mate passed away about 10 yrs ago & I never asked him where he obtained his copy tho' I suspect it may have come with the 1955 Imperial Coupe he bought into Oz in the mid 1980's..........my 2 cents worth..........andyd 

I second the recommendation for a Hollander manual.  I have one from the mid 50s. Not only do they provide Mopar brands interchange but others also.  Factory manual focus on PN interchange.  In doing so they ignore functionally equivalent parts that were given different PNs due to slight differences or makers. 

Also most, if not all, makers of standard parts, like seals and bearings have placed info on their websites.  Not just application data, but complete size specification.  So with some measuring one can find bearings, seals, u-joints and even Speedi-sleeves.    So a maker not listing a bearing specifically for your application can be overcome.  

Edited by kencombs

Here's my quick and dirty way to tell if something fits.

Go to AB's online catalog....look at what gasket fits across the car lines.

Sometimes a gear ratio say was offered on one car but not on your's. That doesn't mean it doesn't fit, it only means they didn't offer it as a standard item.

In the case of brakes for example across Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler and DeSoto (of the years I like) all the hydraulic parts are the same the only difference is the size of the drums, shoes and backing plates.

AB tells you that differential carrier gaskets are the same up to 1956. So you could install a differential carrier from say a 1956 Dodge V8 in your 49 Plymouth 6 with a 3.54 ratio. That is a whole lot easier than changing the rear end!

Hollender is nice and I have one, but it has its limitations.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wagoneer said:

http://www.jholst.net/interchange/  1949-1965

There is a whole section on engines covering 49 and up. There are 'interchange' books out there that cover older.

https://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric  from our very own @TodFitch  - Lots of older stuff

https://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/pw/pw_pif.pdf - Trucks

that first link is awesome thanks

Oftentimes most any flathead Mopar six from a Dodge will fit a Plymouth.....I had a 1950 Dodge engine (without fluid drive, of course)

installed in my P15.  The only thing I think he had to do was put flywheel bolts in backward -- which did not present any problem.

None of the attached items like starter seemed to be problems.   I now have a 1957 Plymouth engine in the car....no problems there  either.

Have not had a DeSoto or Chrysler six so don't know about them fitting......probably will work.

have any of you guys heard of the Auto Interchange Systems book?......interesting that both are from Minnesota.....are they connected in some way?.........andyd

Holy $hite.............lol.........my mate who obtained the original would not have paid that much for anything....lol........and neither would I...........lol.....andyd.