Assemblage of the frontfenders, pics ?

Cudan

Hi all,

I am trying to assemble the inner and front fenders, when a disassembled them I forgot to make pics.

I have the parts book, but i think i am missing a part at the front for the radiator, a square bar ?

I need some pics to help me ? 

thanks Dan

Picture of missing part sure would help.

DJ

Hi,

partnr 7-34-1 radiator lower cross bar

partnr 15-11-7 brace from lockplate to crossbar 

these are parts I am missing and need some pics to fabricate them aan how the are bolted to the other parts.

thanks Dan

F5CB3C49-49FB-499A-A9C2-6734F611B2FF.jpeg

Edited by Cudan

Are you sure that parts manual is for a 48 P15 . I went and looked at my Canadian 48 dodge which is basically  the same as a P15 and those parts aren't there. Just maybe that is a difference between the P15 and the D25 .Sorry on closer inspection I do have those parts amazing what a light will do.

Edited by Cannuck

Ok Cannuck, 

to which parts is the partnr 7-34-1 radiator lower cross bar mounted.

when i have this info I can fabricate one.

Dan

Edited by Cudan

My car is still disassembled in that area, and I cannot locate part # 7-34-1 right now, but # 15-11-7 is bolted to a piece not in this manual scan, but it IS in your photo.  This is the flat strap steel piece with close to 90* bends at each end, which goes between the hood release striker plate up to the bracket on the center of the radiator support.  
These two pieces from my 46 are disassembled (I cad plated and gold anodized the # 15-11-7, and painted the strap steel piece black.)  This piece for my 46 has a 2 or so inch piece spot welded to it crossways part ways up.  But I also have the one from my 49 1st series (P15), and it doesn't have that cross piece (like yours also doesn't).  These two pieces are still bolted together.  The flat strap steel piece is bolted at the longer bend end on the underside of the top of # 15-11-7, in the center hole.  I suspect that the other two holes are used to bolt it to the center of the hood release striker plate.  (I’m only guessing, but it looks like it must go under that plate.)
I’m only guessing here again, but it appears to me that the lower end attaches to # 7-34-1, which is bolted to the back (inside) of the front lower inside corners of the fenders, and to the top of the splash shield, # 7-31-10.  (This connects the fenders to the splash shield.  You can see the mounting holes in the lower edge of your fenders in your photo.)  

EDIT to add: I think you have the strap steel bracket up side down.  Notice also that the center hole in the back of the hood latch striker plate is larger.  This allows room for the head of the bolt fastening the strap steel bracket to # 15-11-7 to not obstruct mounting the striker plate, perhaps so that the hood release mechanism could more easily be removed to be serviced.

Edited by Eneto-55

26 minutes ago, Cudan said:

Thanks, yes i have the strap steel bracket up side down, it put it there for the pic.

but on the partsbook pic the 15-11-7 is shaped totaly different?

Dan

I HAVE seen a picture on a different parts list manual that shows a different shape, but the photo you posted here is what both of mine look like.  (Except that the photo doesn't clearly show that there is a cutout in the center.  I'll have to grab a picture of mine for you.  I looked more for the # 7-34-1, and I can see it in my mind's eye - already cleaned up & primed - but I cannot find it.  Maybe I'm remembering seeing it when my brother & I were trying to sort through all of the parts for our two cars - he has a 49 DeSoto - and maybe I figured it was his, and sent it along with him.  I just think I've seen it someplace more recently than that, which is now nearly 3 years ago.)  

I took some pics hope they help.7-341 attaches to the splash pan and fenders as per pic the holes are slotted to allow movement on the fender attachments. Also took pics that show 15-11-7 attachment points Just a reminder my car is a D25 ,doesn't have part 7-31-10.

F396C715-E9C7-4769-8F52-132196932A48_1_105_c.jpeg

512EDBAF-FF05-42F4-B8EE-B04402C072B3_1_105_c.jpeg

26C39A6F-CA8C-49A1-92A0-7A6FACA9AF6C_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Cannuck

I also took some pictures this afternoon, but not assembled.

Some measurements:

the # 15-11-7 is approx 16 3/8" from the lower edge up to the middle of the curve (bend).  (The bend is pretty gradual, as you'll see in the pictures, so difficult to make a really precise measurement.)

It is 1 1/4" wide at the bottom, 4" wide at the bend (at top), and 4 1/4" at the rear edge (the lip under which the strap steel piece fastens).  The three holes at the top are 1 1/4" apart, center to center.  (The strap steel piece fastens at the center one.)  I included the steel strap piece from my 46, since it is different.  Not sure now what fastens there, perhaps the horn relay?  (The whole front end was already dismantled when I bought it in '80.  The rusted still assembled pieces are from my 49 P15, and have not been taken apart since i bought the car out of a salvage in 81.  The car was last tagged in the mid 60's.  [LATER EDIT: The tag is dated 1960.]  I mention this because I noticed that the photo that Cannuck posted, the flat steel bracket is attached on top of the other piece, where as mine is attached below, as you can see in the photo below.)

I made the drawing on cardboard by rolling the piece to each side, and to the top.  (There is also a flange along the two sides, and around the cutout in the center.  I did not attempt to draw the inside flange on the sketch.  But it is to scale, since I traced around the actual piece.)

I have several other pictures, so if you want/need more, send your email address to me, and I'll send them that way, so I don't use up all of my photo allowance on here.

PXL_20210809_175241364 SM.jpg

PXL_20210809_181536278 SM.jpg

Edited by Eneto-55
adding later comment
  • Like 2