Fuel Tank Recommendations

ChrisMinelli

Hello, my 52 Plymouth’s fuel tank is now more JB Weld than actual steel and it’s time for a new one.  

Anybody have a recommendation on a source for a new or decent used tank?  Has anybody had any experience with MoparPro?  They have a kit with a new tank, straps, and sending unit.  

Should I replace anything else?  My tank is shot and I was always taught to replace the straps at the same time.  Should I look into a new filler?  Current seems ok (but covered in 75 years of mess).  Any other components to change?  

thanks!

Can't comment on the particular product but why do you need to replace the straps unless they do not fit or work with the new tank?.....andyd

Back in the 1990's I sent my '52 Cambridge tank to Gas Tank Renu.   The tank had so many rust holes you could see daylight through them.  They cleaned it out and then used a baked-on 'mystery coating' on the tank.  It's still good after all these years.

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to pay a crazy amount for my tank I put in my '54 Dodge b/c I wasn't concerned about going for a stock look.  I got the dimension and found a tank (I think it was for a 57 Chevy) which fit.  Bought some new steal from TSC and bent my own strapes.  All it was under $200 bucks.  

I have a 48 DeSoto which came from Palm Springs and it is mostly rust free.  The gas tank looks so good I don't know what to do with it.  Maybe put one of those anti rust sealers inside?  I've heard that some of those sealers come loose inside the tank from getting ethanol gas.  The straps and the filler neck look fine except for having a lot of Mohave Desert all over them.  The rubber connecter hose is shot of course.  I'm going to keep the straps and filler necks and just get a new filler neck rubber connector.  I'll probably buy a new sender unit though.