Oki what is this thang ?

72morph

Here’s a guess, maybe somebody tried to put an exhaust whistle under the hood? When they sold the car they removed the whistle and installed the cap.

• Like 3

I think Mark D is probably right. I have never personally seen one of those things,but I remember that "a exhaust-operated Wolf's Whistle" seemed to be popular in the JC Whitney catalogue when I was a kid.

In all  these years,I have never actually seen one that was installed,though.

• Like 1

In the 1970s I had a 49 Special Deluxe Two door as a second car.

Loved that car!

Anyway my Dad who drove it a lot put one of those wolf whistles on it and found it made dogs crazy!

He would terrorize folks at stop lights who had dogs in the car.

They would jump from the front seat to the back and cause all sorts of hate and discontent.

My Dad had a unique sense of humor.

I limited myself to the growl the transmission made when you worked the clutch.

Apparently there was a bearing that was bad.

It was loud enough it got the attention of other drivers (and Dogs) even with the windows up.

The ears would go up but no hysterics. 

I also had a wolf whistle.

Went on the intake.

Sure affected the engine smoothness.

The Cow horn I also had was a lot more fun.

Especially with a herd of cattle coming at ya!

Lessee, a wildass guess- It's on the exhaust manifold, so we don't want it to release exhaust into the engine compartment.  So maybe it lets air into the exhaust system?  There may be a valve under that dome.  maybe the finned shaft is to disburse the exhaust manifold heat, to avoid overheating the valve mechanism.     

To quote my 2-1/2-year-old neighbor boy, "Why?"

Why introduce air into the exhaust stream?  Even out the pulses?   

Edit:  Boost your gas mileage?  Extend you r oil change interval?  

Edited by DonaldSmith

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 8:47 AM, 72morph said:

Screwed into exhaust on a P15 .

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

On 8/3/2021 at 4:33 PM, 72morph said:

IMG_1223.jpg.e67caa9af55c59b176ed6992cc4d0449.jpgIMG_1224.jpg.a8e01811c78e5bf2bde21b285c11d8fa.jpgOk here ya go,side view

Those fins and proximity to the fan and carburetor make me wonder if this is a heat sink to dissipate heat away from the carburetor to prevent fuel percolating...

On 8/3/2021 at 8:18 PM, greg g said:

It's the pop off valve for the turbo entabulator!

LUV them turbo entabulator's!

I understand once you get one of them tuned right,they are good for an extra 100 hp!

They had to quit making and installing them in the 50's because they were breaking axles on takeoff and gear shifts.

How much pressure would you get on the exhaust like that, if, say, it was a connection for an air hose, to air up tires?  Would it be enough?  (I assume that others here have seen the air hose you could connect (temporarily) in place of one spark plug.  That's what made me think of this now.  I hadn't looked back at this thread since before the side view photos were posted, and those fins look like they're designed to reduce heat.)

33 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

unless you could plug the exhaust pipe...this larger opening would not allow any significant pressure...the spark plug access will allow you to build pressure on compression. 

Back when I was a kid and my family were beach fishing with nets,we used to have a device we could screw into the head of our truck in place of a spark plug,and then then start the truck and pump up the tires after coming off the beach. Had a long rubber hose with connectins on both ends that would screw into the device in the head and the tube.

7 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Back when I was a kid and my family were beach fishing with nets,we used to have a device we could screw into the head of our truck in place of a spark plug,and then then start the truck and pump up the tires after coming off the beach. Had a long rubber hose with connectins on both ends that would screw into the device in the head and the tube.

Schrader marketed a kit. It came in a metal box - "Schrader" Spark Plug Tire Pump ... I have a kit called "Enginair"  My daughter, who has a knack for finding stuff, gave me this as a gift several years ago. ?

947122073_Enginair(1).jpg.5f6f3099b00baf4e82e5a0973466b728.jpg444989171_Enginair(2).jpg.ebaa528556341a331a6195cde93d4ee9.jpg

11 hours ago, T120 said:

Schrader marketed a kit. It came in a metal box - "Schrader" Spark Plug Tire Pump ... I have a kit called "Enginair"  My daughter, who has a knack for finding stuff, gave me this as a gift several years ago. ?

947122073_Enginair(1).jpg.5f6f3099b00baf4e82e5a0973466b728.jpg444989171_Enginair(2).jpg.ebaa528556341a331a6195cde93d4ee9.jpg

They were pretty common in the 50's and 60's. IIRC,the one we had came from Western Auto,and was in a tin container identical to the one you used to buy propane torches and bottles in. Ours also had a solid rubber hose. I THINK it came from Western Auto.

Anybody else remember Western Auto?