Hood Bumper Replacement for Pilot-House Trucks

JBNeal
Go to solution Solved by JBNeal,

• Solution

While doing an audit on my attachments to update some picture albums, I found some questions that were asked that seemed to have some conflicting information in these two threads:

This reminded me of some conflicting information that went on about shock absorbers that I cleared up awhile back, so I decided to see if I could find some clarity for this little hood bumper detail.

The first thing to do was to crack open the parts manual, finding information on hood bumper part numbers, as well as bumper locations on COE hoods and radiator baffles.  Studying this information, I found several points to ponder:

• Effectively, there were 3 hood bumper part numbers, with a serial number break on the B-1 models.
  • From the part descriptions, there appears to be hood bumpers for all COE models that are also used on B-1 and B-2s.
  • The B-3 and B-4 models that moved the hood bumper from the radiator baffle on the B-1 and B-2s to the lip on the hood have a different part number, and quantities are listed as required across the board.
  • The B-1 and B-2 radiator baffles had different part numbers for trucks larger than the 1-tons.

But the parts manual has some conflicting information here when comparing part numbers in Group 15 - Hood and Group 7 - Cooling.  The radiator grille illustration clearly shows 4 bumpers in this baffle, but the hood bumper part numbers show quantity 2 for almost all B-1 and B-2 models.  Since I do not have a truck larger than 1-ton, I can only go on the picture posted by Bradley S. that shows that more than likely the larger trucks have the 4 holes shown in the parts manual, as the dozen of baffles that I have only have 2 hood bumper holes.  I also have never laid eyes on a COE hood, so I'm guessing that its size warrants the use of 4 hood bumpers, even though its parts manual illustration only shows 1.

Next was to gather dimensions on what hood bumpers (or evidence thereof) that I have.  The hood bumpers all mount in 1/4" holes, but vary in diameter in B-1s and then by height when moved from the radiator baffle to the hood lip on non-COEs.  It appears on one of my early B-1s that the hood bumpers were about 5/8" diameter (Mopar 846797), then the later B-1s increased to 3/4" diameter (Mopar 985563).  The thickness appeared to be about 1/4", but them crusty old remnants were obviously pancaked, so I'd guess they were originally in the 3/8" thickness range.  These two part numbers are so close in size, and with no change in the baffle they mount in nor the hoods they contact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the latter number should supercede the former number.  As indicated earlier, the Mopar 995066 hood bumpers were 3/4" diameter, and a hair over 1/2" thick.

So I followed up on some part numbers I found here and there, and apparently NAPA carries replacements:
Mopar 846797  --  Mopar 985563  --  BK 6652262
Mopar 995066  --  BK 6653122

Roberts "fat" hood bumpers and DCM hood bumpers are apparently only for the B-1 / B-2 / COE hood bumpers, not the B-3 and B-4 models that their descriptions allude to.  BK 6652262 is a hair over 1/4" thick, whereas the BK 6653122 is about 3/4", dimensions I verified since an area NAPA had both in stock.  Roberts "thin" hood bumpers look very much like BK 6652264 (also available locally), and are only about 1/8" thick.  I've updated the parts manual listing to reflect this clarification.

This may or may not help :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good research.  I had cut down some taller ones to get to the 3/4" height I needed, and you can tell being soft rubber.  I'll see how these fit.

• Like 2

Got mine in the mail yesterday, look to the pretty close to what I've seen on old holds I've poked at.  Just be careful, they come 5 to a pack and if you don't read close you get 4 packs of 5 (20) vs. 4 bumpers.....  :P