Canister filter oil lines.

Boody

Can someone tell me if the lines look right? The  line  from the bottom of the filter seems to be in the way of the starter. The motor I have didn't  have a filter  on it when I got it. The back line seems ok. If someone has a picture  it would be helpful.  

Thanks

Yes, they look very good to me, but I don't own a Pilothouse.

I just had to do the same thing on my 218 in my coupe. I use the Mopar Oil Filter Adapter Package Instruction as a reference, found in the Download section near the of the Forum Menus. Othewise here is the link: https://p15-d24.com/files/file/58-mopar-oil-filter-adapter-package-installation-instructions/

that lower straight fitting in the block should be a 45 degree fitting that could kick the oil line away from the starter...not by much with that Bendix drive starter ya got mounted, but it would give ya a little more breathing room.

Interesting thing to me, and maybe I am looking at it wrong, is that the ports are reversed between these two pictures ( that is which line goes to bottom of filter and which to top ). I am wondering which is correct. I had a diagram but i cannot seem to find it.

46 minutes ago, dcotant said:

Interesting thing to me, and maybe I am looking at it wrong, is that the ports are reversed between these two pictures ( that is which line goes to bottom of filter and which to top ). I am wondering which is correct. I had a diagram but i cannot seem to find it.

I think that there is not one specific routing that applies to all filter housings.  There were several makers of filter accessory packages back then.  some used the bottom inlet routing and others use the side fitting as the inlet.  I assume that was be cause of the different filters, sock or cartridge types having different flow directions.

11 hours ago, JBNeal said:

that lower straight fitting in the block should be a 45 degree fitting that could kick the oil line away from the starter...not by much with that Bendix drive starter ya got mounted, but it would give ya a little more breathing room.

Here's a better view of the fittings in the block, showing the 45 degree elbow on the return side. PC300174.JPG.de70bede42c84522aada85c7ee8075fc.JPG

2 hours ago, dcotant said:

Like Ken stated, different filter designs have different flow directions. My filter is clearly stamped OUT at the upper port, and that is the one I have plumbed to the return port in the block. 

PC310186.JPG.fafd17fae46bc5a7c43b45a955b903a9.JPG

Haven't found a proper "round to it" yet to get this done, but I bought a aluminum adapter to fit a modern style spin on filter. It fits inside the canister with room to spare. I was going to plumb it to the fittings on the canister and use a spin on filter rather than continue to use the sock.