Reassembling my cowl vent on my 52 cranbrook

Leo White

I am putting my cowl vent back together and not sure if I am connecting the vent controls the right way, if I push the lever down to open the vent or try to close it the vent barely moves.  The vent will not seal when closed I have attached a picture of how I thought it want together.

20210802_071905~2.jpg

Edited by Leo White

• Leo White changed the title to Reassembling my cowl vent on my 52 cranbrook
1 minute ago, Dartgame said:

the portion you show where there is one bolt should have two to keep it from "scissoring" - those flat splines should mate up and overlap each other.

Do you think the arm that attaches to the lever is on the wrong side?

My Cranbrook has only one bolt and a tang that goes into a hole. Just went out and checked to be sure, there is a hole for another bolt, guess I'll be putting another one in it.

Edited by DJK
update

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, Sniper said:

Check your vent pivots, mine were seized up and the cowl was flexing as I tried to open and close it. 

Hey Sniper....Having the same problem with my '52.  How did you free yours up. Do you know  how to remove the entire unit?

Mine was stuck open enough that I could loosen the 4 retaining screws and pull the vent screen assembly out.  There is an access to those screws thru the vent screen.  Once I got that out I tried a combination of penetrating oil and finally heat from a propane torch.  Be careful you do not start anything on fire if you use a torch.  I used CRC Freez Off with the torch to shock the corrosion loose.  Heat it up, freeze it, gently try to work the joint, repeat till it worked loose.  Don;t reef on it too hard as you do not want to break the spot welds holding the hinge assembly to the bottom of the cowl. 

Edited by Sniper