Unsticking a Throttle

ChrisMinelli
Go to solution Solved by ChrisMinelli,

Hello,

I picked up a $15 Carter BBS off a 65 Dodge Slant 6 from a junkyard today.  My intention was to “practice” rebuilding it before I rebuilt some flathead six Carter BB1s I found from the same yard.  

All is well except for the throttle body. It is quite corroded (I think the steel / aluminum combo over time caused some problems) and the throttle is stuck open.  The idle adjusting screw broke off when I tried to back it out. 

Is there anything I can do besides brute force?  (That won’t end well).  Heat?  A chemical?  Keep going with my ultrasonic bath and see if that helps?

I know the idle screw’s tolerances are precise and I don’t want to drill it out without loosening it up first.  The carb is practice, but I want to do it right and fix it correctly so I have skills in my pocket for rebuilding my “real” carbs. 

Thanks!

9B78264E-83EE-4497-A2A1-3C8A851FCFAF.jpeg

What allbizz49 said is the answer and throw in a bit of patience.

Chris, I love the idea of you practising on this one to hone your skills. Excellent idea!

Let's us know how it goes as you continue.

Edited by Robert5

Pick up a qt of Evap-o-rust.  That should be enough to cover that piece in a small container.  It'll probably take a 12 hour soak but all the rust will be gone.

I'm currently giving all the bolts from the front clip of my 56 PU that treatment.

A qt is 10 bucks at my local stores.  If you contemplate more such adventures, a gallon is cheaper by the ounce, about 30 buck.

• Solution

So good news and bad news.  The heat + penetrating fluid worked like a charm!  I don’t have a fancy welding torch but I do have a propane torch (like plumbers use) and that did the trick.  The throttle is free!

The bad news is I tried drilling out the stuck idle screw and I buggered up the hole.  The aluminum was a lot softer than I thought and drilling hard steel stuck in soft aluminum was a bad idea. 

The carb will never function again, but I’m still going to rebuild it for fun and get some assembly skills down.  

D95ADBC7-CC48-4769-B4E7-A8FDB7F00830.jpeg

• Like 1