R134a

Ulu

I understand that the molecules are smaller than r12 and so it would leak through ordinary refrigerant hoses. So in my mind it is going to leak easier everywhere.

In the past I’ve used a couple different aftermarket refrigerants designed to work in r134a systems.

But now I am faced with a car where I need to evacuate R134a & recharge the system.

I am starting to think I should buy myself a serious Freon pump set up. I’ve only done R12 cars & R22 houses. I never used anything but a cheap Venturi that blows the Freon out into the atmosphere and does not collect anything.

I edited this three times now because I can’t come to a question. Can I just use the Venturi and burn the Freon off?

It makes poisonous gas but I don’t have to stand right there and breathe it either.

Edited by Ulu

Federal law makes it illegal to vent freon, it must be captured.  Who knows what California has tossed atop that one.

I got a mobile AC license years ago to buy R12.  I do have a pump that is capable of pump freon into a container.  But that was 30+ years ago and who knows what they might require now. 

• Thanks 1

If it is being opened due to a leak,there may not be any 134 to evacuate.  If not, you can just pump it down and recharge.  I don't really 'capture and recycle', I just pump into an old freon canister and store it.   If you don't have one, a good vacuum pump is very useful to pull a deep vacuum and assure all moisture is gone.

I help that along by using a heat gun on all accessible portions of the system of goil off the water.

About the hoses leaking:  That was a big point of discussion back in the '90s when a lot of conversions were going on.  Turns out that the old oil sort of plugs the porous rubber and hold the 134 in.  Many conversions done successfully back then with the old hoses, just new orings and proper oil.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I won't vent it. I want to burn it off. 

The system is full, but has moisture, and so it wants a new dryer $$$ too.

I was thinking I might actually just run the R134a into the air filter, and just burn it right thru the running engine to destroy it. It's really similar to butane but less combustible. It might be easier to light the gas and burn it off.

Regarding the heat gun, thanks @kencombs. I never thought of this because I've probably never vacuumed freon when the weather wasn't super hot, and the car hot as hell too. Summer highs here are 95-105 for June, July, and August. There's a demand for AC guys here.