Painting Original rubber flooring?

edrendek7777

Hey all, I have an original rubber flooring for a 1951 Plymouth Business coupe that I want to put in my 51 Plymouth standard 2 door Cranbrook...  not sure if it will 100% fit right but if it does, has anyone ever tried to spruce up that original flooring with any rubber paint?  I was thinking like a flex seal type of paint or something similar?  I see several kinds online just wondering if anyone has tried this?  Thanks in advance...  there's a few pictures for reference of what I have and what I need to fix, random usage cracking and wear. 

Screenshot_20210731-131004_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-130954_eBay.jpg

I would not paint them as I believe it will lead to issues later on. I have a 1951 Dodge D39 business coupe. This is a Canadian Dodge based on the Plymouth body. I chose to go with carpet for the interior as the rubber mats were not in good shape. However, I did use the trunk mat as it was really decent although absolutely filthy, way worse that you are showing above. I used a good detergent cleaner and an equal amount of elbow grease. This got them as clean as possible but they still looked tired. I then liberally used ArmorAll on the mat and it came out looking like new. l did redo it a second time later on and it has kept its nice finish for a long time. I looked for the before and after pictures I took but could not find them but have included one of how it looks now. The part in the sun actually looks blacker than in the picture but due to the sun/shade my iPhone got confused, kinda like me sometimes. LOL ? 

249A1740-2507-4D92-8F27-03AFC7F62F0E.jpeg.656f9843b60826024e5bed212dc72c2f.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB

Ok thanks. Even if I Flex seal or something the underside to reinforce it I may want to do that. As you can see there is wear especially on the front seat piece. I don't just want to tape the underside. I want something more flexible and durable. 

To repair, I get the damaged areas as close together as I can. I then cut up some old inner tubing and using a strong spray-on adhesive, I patch the inner tubing to the underside of the mat. The end result is not perfect but nothing ever will be but at first glance everything looks good. Most people never take more than a cursory glance anyway. I used this process on my trunk mat on the right side where the hump for the rear axle starts. Not perfect but certainly presentable. 

I own a Cambridge sedan and Concord business coupe.  To my knowledge, the front floor mat is the same for both the sedan and business coupe.  The rear mat in the business coupe is shorter and configured differently than the sedan.  The sedan trunk mat is a woven material and the business coupe is rubber and much larger.

Van converters sometimes pull the full-length rubber matting from the vehicle they're converting and you can get it from them inexpensively.  You can then cut it down to fit your car.