Spare Tire Accessory

Conn47D24

You’re a braver man than I am! 

Also, I have never seen that option before……..on any car. I see from the packaging that it is a genuine Mopar product. Very interesting and thanks for posting. 

• Like 3

I bought one a long time ago... never installed it yet.?

How old are you? ? I’m 72 and still have a decent memory but don’t remember those….but maybe I am actually forgetting. ? What I do remember were those wonderful air pumps/gauges like the ones pictured below. I think the last time I used one at a SERVICE station was probably about 30 years ago. They were accurate, quick, and FREE. Sometimes progress is not always for the best. 

Good ones sure go for big money nowadays at swap meets. 

I even like the old bricks in the second picture. 

304D01BA-9C96-472C-9860-09FD06931D13.jpeg.98708a6fd1938468d1b318978fea5743.jpeg

61B22D3C-A65C-4429-8926-17EFCCAC6466.jpeg.99f39899330816c1c2c08353c3b5e112.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RobertKB said:

You’re a braver man than I am! 

Also, I have never seen that option before……..on any car. I see from the packaging that it is a genuine Mopar product. Very interesting and thanks for posting. 

There is one on the tailgate of my 49 Plymouth Wagon just below the license plate

plymouth7.png.3b958712f1f586e19c3ca3b7ae6a7a41.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RobertKB said:

How old are you? ? I’m 72 and still have a decent memory but don’t remember those….but maybe I am actually forgetting. ? What I do remember were those wonderful air pumps/gauges like the ones pictured below. I think the last time I used one at a SERVICE station was probably about 30 years ago. They were accurate, quick, and FREE. Sometimes progress is not always for the best. 

Good ones sure go for big money nowadays at swap meets. 

I even like the old bricks in the second picture. 

304D01BA-9C96-472C-9860-09FD06931D13.jpeg.98708a6fd1938468d1b318978fea5743.jpeg

61B22D3C-A65C-4429-8926-17EFCCAC6466.jpeg.99f39899330816c1c2c08353c3b5e112.jpeg

These are cool. 

When there was a “Filling Station” on every corner they had to be competitive and offer to wipe your windshield and check your oil. If they weren’t busy and you had the time they’d check your tires too. The compressor makers advertised that to gas station operators hoping to show them how to become “Service Stations”.

Going back a little further, you bought your gasoline in 5 gallon cans from the hardware store!

The store clerks were instructed to ask if you needed dry cell batteries for your ignition.

I have a 1908 Ford Model S that was the deluxe model and it came with a six volt lead acid storage battery and a bank of dry cells to supply ignition power. Lead acid batteries were expensive so you only got one even in the deluxe model.

I heard a story about warring gas stations. They kept lowering prices to put the other guy out of business. A friend of mine told the story about how he went in to the station with the lowest price and the owner asked him how many gallons he needed. When he told him the guy handed him some coins and told him to go buy his gas from the guy across the street!

Apparently they both were selling below cost and he had sold out but didn’t want the other guy to take advantage.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, Sniper said:

Now that is something modern trucks could use.  Factory puts them in with the stem up, facing the bottom of the bed and no one ever checks them. 

So true, I have a '97 ford bought new.  I don't think the spare has ever been checked, except occasionally smacking it with a hammer to be sure it would bounce.

It would be a good thing if the new ones added the spare to the TPMS also.  Assuming they are not one of those that have dispensed with the spare in the interest of weight and MPG.

I usually flip my spare so I can at least slide under the bed and check it without having to drop the spare.

As for TPMS, been looking at retrofitting a TPMS setup to the Cambridge.  Lots of options out there.

What I do when drilling through painted area's is use masking tape to cover the area where I'm going to drill a hole, I then mark the spot and take something Sharpe and make a small hole in the tape so the bit won't slip. You can find the trunk spare tire inflators at Camping World and most trailer stores.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, Bob Ritter said:

What I do when drilling through painted area's is use masking tape to cover the area where I'm going to drill a hole, I then mark the spot and take something Sharpe and make a small hole in the tape so the bit won't slip. You can find the trunk spare tire inflators at Camping World and most trailer stores.

I never knew, how about that?  Thanks

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflator/Wheel-Masters/WM82286-R.html