Are Blue Dots legal in your state....

Plymouthy Adams

I currently have a list of 11 states that have enacted law allowing Blue Dots for classis/antique cars/trucks and usually provisions all model motorcycle.  If you know they are legal state legal...if you know they are illegal state illegal...

Georgia....legal

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I believe in NY, they are officially illegal.  The level of enforcement is probably a very low priority for LEO`S. The inspection regs that relate to safety do state that only red, amber, and white lights are approved for the rear of motorized vehicles, with white only for reversing. There is specific language referring to white light showing at the rear as it relates to cracked or broken tail light lenses

White, amber, and blue lights visible from the front,  blue flashing lights are courtesy lights for volunteer fire fighters when responding to a fire or ambulance call in a POV.

The definition of white foe headlights seems very loose these days, with shades from blue to purple being common and very irritating to old eyes. 

Illegal in TX, though enforcement is spotty.  I know when I bought my 65 Cuda last millenia the inspector wouldn't pass it till I got rid of the ones that were on it when I bought it.

Relevant code is Texas Transportation code Sec. 547.322.(d)  "A taillamp shall emit a red light plainly visible at a distance of 1,000 feet from the rear of the vehicle."

Cannot say these days but Calif. had for years outlawed them.

Had a good friend years ago who drove a service truck 3/4 ton from central Ca. to the S.F. area (90 miles + per day) 5 + days per week with No enforcement actions. The Ca. highway Patrol had many other big issues-then and now.

Also while researching Ca. found this on Wash.

https://law.justia.com/codes/washington/2012/title-46/chapter-46.37/section-46.37.5185/

Still illegal, someone on this forum must be up on this?

DJ

In California we have a few “illegal” things that are normally ignored because it favors police action when desirable.

Blue dots, of course, but they aren’t much of a thing anymore except for us geezers. 

Cars are required to have license plates front and rear, but you will notice a lot of people with expensive cars do not put the front plate on but just carry it in the trunk.

People also put on these license plate covers that make it difficult to read or radar or photograph the license plate.

Loud mufflers are on the list too.

These things are routinely ignored unless a cop needs an excuse to pull someone over that they suspect is guilty of drunkenness etc.

Then all of a sudden people will find that a crime they have been committing for a long long time is actually punishable, in another way.

Blue dots are not specifically mentioned in Maine's motor vehicle codes.  BUT, the statutes specify that tail and brake lights can only be red (turn signals can be amber).  Lenses can be clear, but the lights must be red.  That technically makes blue dots illegal.  A vehicle inspection must "be rejected if tail and brake lights are not red", although antique and some specialty registrations do not require inspection.  The topic comes up for discussion at car club functions on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...