Clutch Flex Plate (Spring Plate) Mount to Bellhousing - Mysterious Gap

tollertdi
Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

I have an all stock original 48 Plymouth 4dr, family owned since new, that I'm restoring.  Upon reassembling the clutch linkage I noticed that the clutch flex plate does not mate flush with the bellhousing.  As seen in the picture below, the bellhousing appears to have been machined flat and "hogged out" by the factory.  This creates a gap between the bellhousing and flex plate when installed.  In addition the bolts can't be torqued down without distorting things.

The second picture which I found on this site, is an installation where it looks like someone installed a homemade shim.  I've looked at several different Mopar parts manuals and there appears to never have been a shim part built.  Also, when I disassembled the clutch linkage there was nothing behind the flex plate, so I doubt a factory part exists.

Can anyone give an opinion on this?

Bellhousing Clutch Spring Plate Location.jpg

FlexSpring Plate Shim.jpg

A spacer is factory installed.

if you have a parts manual for your car and go to the clutch section or trans section there should be a part number listed. You will have to spend sometime to identify the part number.

I would assume that the plate would be as thick to match up with the attaching sheet metal plate so if you measure the space with the outer plate in position then you will have the thickness that you need to make the adapter

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

So I looked at the 36-48 parts manual.  Below is what is has.  Note the the spacers are cylindrical not a flat plate like the picture above.  Also, note that it says "Not Used" for the P15.   Confusing or what ??? !!!

36-48.png

Now lets look at the P15 parts manual. 

The first page shows the standard clutch parts picture.  Note that there is no spacer pictured.

The second page lists a part number 959134, but that is only for Right Hand Drive (RHD) models.

Confusing or what ???  !!!

46-48a.png

46-48b.png

Since this seems to be the Master Parts manual items change and items get no longer lsited and or used and or stocked. i see the same in my 1936-42 Master Desoto manual. I would suggest that you go to your specific year parts manual and see if the part number is listed and it might even show what the part looks like.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I am stumped maybe someone switch some parts from an earlier car.  I would just make a tracing of the spacer and make one to fit.

That also stumps me.

Someone might beable to provide more info.  I have knowledge uptil the 42 desotos

Rich Hartung

So let's look at the problem of building my own spacer.  How are these things set up?  Is the spacer sized so that the Flex/Spring plate hugs the bellhousing?  Or is the Flex Plate supposed to be a certain distance from the bellhousing to allow for some flexure.

I wish some folks could look at their P15's and let me know what they see or if they could provide some measurements that would be great.

How about buying or making some spacers of varying lengths? I'm not familiar with that plate set up but I would start with it just clearing the bellhousing judging by the pictures Check operation and adjust length if necessary. 

• Solution

It's not a spacer that goes there...

It's actually another 3/16" thick mounting bracket for the shifter linkage bell crank /pivot.

You probably still have this piece/assembly all still together? In a box, bag etc?

Linkages 1948 P15 Plymouth (16).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dodgeb4ya -

Loads of thanks for solving my problem.  As you guessed correctly, the part was attached to my shift bellcrank assembly in another box.

Just for completion below is the diagram from the parts manual showing the part that I thought was missing.

Shift Assmbly.png

• Like 1