UNLOADING A 1/2 TON WITH NO BRAKES FROM A TRAILER

am looking for your experience on this.  I have a  1938 1/2 ton that I will be trailering later this month.  Getting it on the trailer is not my problem, BUT getting it off is.  No engine or brakes.  I'll be using a UHaul trailer without a come along attachment.  How do I get it off the truck without brakes.  I know someone out there has done this.  Please share your info.   Thanks guys.

I use a nice long thick (1/2" or so) rope.  Tie one end to the front axle, loop the other around something smooth at the front of the trailer like a round front guard rail.  One loop only, not two or more.

Take up the tension on the rope and start pushing the truck off the trailer.  As the truck moves backwards slowly release the rope.  It's amazing how much control you have when rolling something off the trailer.  My dad taught me this trick and I've used it for years without fail.

My trailer has a front rail that is round that I wrap the rope around.  

Good luck!

Brad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You might also be able to use a long tow strap connected to another vehicle, and then use that to control the descent.   (I bought a winch when I moved my Plymouth w/o brakes, and so we used it to both load & unload.  It's an excuse to buy cool stuff.....)

Once, I placed a cinder block behind the trailer about 8’ and walked it down with a rope like Brad said.

(After that I used a come-a-long) 

LOL, When I unloaded “Jimbob” his brakes were locked on the rear. I lifted the rear with my bobcat, got the rear tires on the ground and pulled my trailer out with the tow vehicle. Yeah, It wasn’t pretty or graceful but, we were evacuating for wildfire and didn’t think I had time to win dismount points ?

• Like 2

Lash the disabled truck to a pole or another vehicle, drive the tow truck + trailer slowly out from underneath the disabled truck with ramps dragging on the ground...be ready with some chocks to slow any wayward runaways.

With no engine it should be easy to control with a rope as others have suggested but below is another option I have used.

You can also use some old tires without rims and hang them off the back of the tailgate as bumpers, stacked if need be with some rope to hold them together and in place. Drive a second vehicle up behind the brakeless truck on the ramps to insure you have a good match-up and then once you have established good contact release the holdowns on the brakeless truck and use the second vehicle to control the movement down with the tires between the 2.

The front of the trailer will likely want to rise as the second vehicle moves up the ramps so leave the trailer attached to the tow vehicle so you don't wheelie. Also be aware the brakeless truck will want to roll back as the front of the trailer rises so keep it secured till the second vehicle is in place and has contact. Once you have good contact the rise of the trailer front helps to maintain the contact as you slowly control the movement down with the second vehicle. Then when on flat ground you should be able to roll it to the parking spot by hand. Old tires should be easy to come by if you don't have them at a tire shop. I have done it this way before but now have a winch like in the link which has served me well so far. Ironton 12 Volt DC Powered Electric Marine Winch with Remote — 2000-Lb. Capacity, Galvanized Steel Wire Rope | Northern Tool

I have a 6 foot long 3x3 square tube with a trailer coupler on each end. I can push/pull any vehicle with a trailer ball mounted front or back. 
i just brought a 50’’s chevy 1 ton home with this bar and it works slick. I bolted a piece of angle iron to bumper with 1 bolt through bumper mounting hole. Went about 6 miles with it. Only thing missing was a safety chain. 

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dodgefran said:

Sorry, I didn't tell you all that I'll be unloading in a UHaul it storage facility between two and have to be  careful.  Please keep the ideas coming. 

well my method of using a tree won't help....  :P

Can you find a RELATIVELY immovable object and afix the truck to that and pull the trailer out from underneath.