‘38 Chrysler Royal Overdrive Review

keithb7

Today I finally drove my ‘38 Royal on the hiway. A trip of about 55 miles one way. There was a car event in my area. Finally we are seeing some resemblance of pre-pandemic life. I wanted to go to the car event. It was also a great excuse to test my car outside city limits. 

Up to today, I had briefly engaged the stock OD to test it. It seemed to work just fine. Today I finally got some considerable time on a divided hiway, OD engaged. 

I drove a mountain pass. Plenty of driving up and down hills. The Royal seems most comfortable to me at about 55 mph. It will go faster. I had it up to 62. The OD engaged and above 60, she’s not got much power left to overcome wind resistance.  Perhaps I should try 60+ without OD. Then the engine revs are a bit higher. Maybe the engine is able to produce a little more torque? 

Although for me, I have little desire to drive at 60+ mph. I lean more toward the conservative type. Safety is a major factor for me. Stock tires are pretty narrow. Not a lot of rubber on the road. I like the driving experience. Not speed. 

The car handled fine. No shimmy. No wobble. Steering true. It drove straight and had good road feel. I felt really planted and secure up to 60 mph. I felt I could easily cruise all day, without tiring at 55 mph. 

Overall, the OD experience was very positive. Lower RPM’s, less buzzy. Fuel conserving I suspect. Climbing long hills on the hi-way she lost some speed. To be expected. 

The faster you go more power is needed to overcome wind resistance. Diminishing returns so to speak. So with a later 30’s flathead you can only expect so much. 

I got to thinking about cars and driving in 1938. Owing this Chrysler and cruising at 60 mph, I suspect you’d have been in a class above the majority of car owners. 60 mph in 1938 on public roads was pretty serious business I’d think. 

I am pretty-well convinced that my Chrysler would benefit from a 4.11 rear end. Based on where I live and drive, the hilly terrain, I think it would be better for me. From memory, I think my car currently has about a 3.9 to 4.0 gear set in it now. I’ve not opened it up to confirm. I’ll keep my eye out for a 4.11 assembly. 

A few pics from today. 

F2689227-A930-4226-8396-5E04060F2C77.jpeg

35FA435D-5D76-4933-9AD3-1CCA4C48616F.jpeg

6EF8A5C9-18C2-4F67-9CFF-FB8A7D9C92E2.jpeg

96100273-4EAF-44D8-9F45-24337D56C825.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 6

I LOVE that dashboard and the instrument clusters!

The very first car I bought was a 1938 Chyrsler Royale 4dr sedan. I was 14,and paid 20 bucks for it from the nephew of the original owner. Once we got a couple of valves unstuck,it ran whisper quiet.

I don't remember that dashboard,though. Being a one-owner car bought new by a woman,it seems unlikely it was painted over.

Can anyone explain this?

Edited by knuckleharley