Out Amongst The Newest Hatch Tonight

keithb7

Tonight my son and I rolled out in my ‘38 Chrysler. We met a mixed bag of car enthusiasts on the top floor of a parkade.

We chatted with 20 year olds in boosted tuners. 30-somethings in lowered supercharged 2000 and up Mustangs. One 40-ish guy in a nice clean Buick Grand National. I guess being as I turned 50 this year, I solely officially represented the old-timers age demographic. My ‘38 was quite a hit among all age groups, as I too took interest in all their cars.  It was a great evening out with my son. He had as much fun as I did. Some of his old highschool contacts were there also. Lots of questions like, “Flathead what? 6V Positive who?  Why in the old days were big displacement engine so low on HP? Really, no first gear synchro?  What make is your car? Made in Canada! Wow!”

My old ‘38 doesn’t have cruise control or navigation. Yet it seems to take us to an ice cream stop every night we go out. 

My son and I hopefully will be doing several more cruises together this summer.  Is there anything better?

D34B17BA-53FE-4959-9037-86E9BCBCA03F.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see cruise night has not fallen to the wayside during the last year and a half! That big green coupe really stands out in the pack! This proves us older guys have very refined parameters when it comes to automobiles. Like our cars we just don’t move as fast as our younger colleagues! LOL! All the Best to ya! M

Keithb7:  i have a 39 Desoto and I know how you feel. I went to a car show the other night that was as we call it a rice burner show with the loud music etc, and the low riders.

When I was showing the 39 Desoto many people old and young came over to the car and they were asking a lot of questions and I was glad to provide some education about these older cars and now how the hobby is changing. I felt that everyone respected the car.

I know us old car guys can get upset about how the hobby is changing but remember when the model t and the brass cars were the in thing and thne the Model A and the early to mid 40s car became the in thing.  Those early collectors were frustrated with us because we were changing the hobby.  So we are now in the same position, everything evolves and can not stand still or we stagnate.

So I say continue to enjoy our cars, have the please of driving something unique, slow down an enjoy the scenery, make those fond memories life is short so enjoy what pleases you and you can not please everyone.  Pass along your education and knowledge to make it a better world, this is how we all learned and is the basic prinicpal of learning.  Knowledge has to be passed on.

Keith: Keep your youtube videos comeing along I watch them when ever I can. wathed your video on the Diizy rebuild.  There was a Miller Factory that is used to drive out and in the twobushings inthe dizzy body and a spacer rings.  I do have that tool in my collection.

I want to see if i can find an Autolite used dizzy at Hershey cheap it does not have to fit my 39 Desoto but to use as demonstration piece at next Years National desoto Conventionto be held in Altoona,PA during a lecture session.  Most owners have never taken one apart and I feelit is a good topic.

Any specific videos that you have on any topic is appreciated.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

• Like 2

Thanks Richard. I do enjoy sharing the info I learn, to educate future generations on You Tube. They all seem to turn there instead of reading books or 1000’s of archived posts in forums like this one.  People today want easy, quick answers. I was old school. I dug in, read a ton and researched things myself to get a mechanical education.

If You Tube wants to pay me advertising money, because people would rather not read books, I’ll take it. Any funds solely supplement my Vintage Mopar hobby. I will continue to make You Tube videos when the moment strikes me, and a half decent topic comes along. 

I am thinking about the Overdrive topic for my next video. - Keith

• Like 2

I was out with the newbies today too. It was a quickly thrown together show for a gentleman in hospice care. He is a classic car guy and wanted to go to one last car show. I saw a post about it on Facebook. It was a rainy morning, but several cars showed up. I parked next to a nice looking 

57 Ford. Several late model Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers. But the 2 older Corvettes were pretty nice. 

05F536A2-6F50-4874-ACC7-163A0F092EFD.jpeg.f09b14b43c5de09867f7deaef8ba2570.jpeg

EDFAA576-E772-449D-BCBC-B31F05D3233C.jpeg.966e40b4209b4263838dddbbce2ba5d7.jpeg

14E22A60-E1C4-479E-A257-E927D0B454AB.jpeg.98ca0c03dc0eee09949f8f4a8ed5c089.jpeg

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 4

Thats always a nice feeling when you can take your old car/truck to an event for a special person or special event to brighten their day.  We all take it for granted about our health and our lives.  The little things are what make it special and I hope everyone felt some pride to help the gentleman that was ill and that he could get maybe one of his last wishes in life.

Positive response for all that attended the car hobby is a very unique club.

Rich Hartung

Today between motorcycles and old Mopars, spent the entire day enjoying the hobby. Wrenching. Waxing. Detailing.  I am getting ready for our local annual big car show. Its a go, in 2 weeks. My lovely wife is all-in helping with the detailing. 

A clay bar is doing wonders for my paint. Making it like new again. 

4063B256-C702-474B-A299-9CCA099796C2.jpeg

• Like 2

Re-applying the red strip detailing. 
anyone know what the hood ornament is supposed to represent? A fast moving locomotive?

54718E7A-E985-4ABC-8BBA-121528A768DF.jpeg

• Like 2

I think that the ornament is an abstract interpretation of a winged something.....by the late 30's most of the car ornaments, mascots and emblems used variations of wings and the sense of motion & speed to emphasise the power that the car maker wanted...........lol...........jeese?.......did I just say all that?...........lol..........BTW, Keith...what is your assistant using to add the red..it looks like a pencil.........andyd   

52 minutes ago, Andydodge said:Keith...what is your assistant using to add the red..it looks like a pencil.........andyd   

In the photo seen my wife was using a small metal scraper to remove loose, flaking-off, old red paint.  Then she reapplied new red paint.

More paint touch up and clay bar work to go yet, but there is a car show tomorrow morning.  Hmm. 

A39CB759-372D-4F5F-889E-4D33C9E3F617.jpeg

• Like 2

The hood emblem should be a "Mayflower" - Sailing Ship in full speed , in a very condensed artform...

This is the 1951 interpretation of the ship: three cuts into the back separating 4 "sails", and big

bow waves, more reminiscent of wings

1671840423_20170611_172720KL.jpg.5c83f83ba21dea60b72f11674a5c4ab0.jpg

The medallion holds a more prototiyical Mayflower in tzhe middle as do the hub caps.

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

Edited by Go Fleiter

10 hours ago, Go Fleiter said:

The hood emblem should be a "Mayflower" - Sailing Ship in full speed , in a very condensed artform...

The Mayflower did 3 knots (2mph) if they were lucky ?. Stand by for warp speed Captain!.

10 hours ago, ccudahy said:

@Merle Coggins and his truck are TV stars. They were in the background, while the news reporter was doing an interview for the local news. Glad it was for a good cause.

TV Star? More like uncredited extra... ? 

I saw the camera people doing interviews. They were probably interviewing the guy with the green Corvette. The camera would have been pointing my way. 

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1