GARNIS MOLDING FELT / SEAL

Hello Mopar family. We have a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer that we are in the process of doing a full custom build on. I have removed the Garnish molding from around the front windshield, doors and rear quarter areas. I have noticed that there appears to be a strip of dry rotten felt on the window side of each of the side moldings that is stapled to the metal.

My question is, does anyone know if someone sells replacements for these or is there another solution to deal with these old dry rotted seals.

I have attached 2 photos so you guys can clearly see what I am referring to. Any help is appreciated.

June

20210721_202711-sm.jpg

20210721_202714-sm.jpg

Whilst my car, a 1940 Oz Dodge which is essentially a 1940 Plymouth based car is different to your Wayfarer I needed something to replace the original "Tacking strip" that the upholstery/ roof lining was attached to around the rear side windows and was able to find a length of solid rubber/vinyl concoction that appears to have been used in household window sealing..........I cannot recall what the actual name of this stuff is but it was available on a roll at the local Oz hardware store and was very cheap, like a couple of dollars a yard and is easily cut with a sharp knife and bends easily to follow the shape of the channel........to attach it in the channel I used some small self tapping screws that held it firmly in the channel and this black rubber/vinyl is soft enough to take normal staples and/or small tacks just like that original tacking strip............the stuff I used was about 1/4" x 3/8" and was pliable enough that I could bend it to follow the channel just like the original paper based tacking strip...........sorry no pics as this stuff was found about 10 years ago when I redid the roof of the car and had to remove the interior roof lining and various garnish moldings...............hope this helps................andyd  

a6473841359b8509ee5f38_m__98327.jpg&maxx=108&maxy=108

https://www.restorationspecialties.com/YM3-96-GLEXIBLE-PILE-LINING-RUBBER-COVERED-BELT-WEATHERSTRIPS_p_36164.html

only one of many sizes offered by restoration specialties

how you attache it to your molding is your choice I used double sided tape

Edited by LazyK

Hooligan.........just had another look at your red highlighted pic and the stuff that you have highlighted is actually what I know as "Bailey Channel" or the single sided version of Bailey Channel.......I have seen it called "Fuzzies" by a few people on this and other USA based forums.......originally it was held onto the garnish molding via staples every few inches, which you can see in your pics............ however when I redid mine a couple of years ago I just used 1/8th pop rivets to attach it to the newly chromed garnish moldings and used a black sharpie to touch up the pop rivet head in amongst the felt or fuzzy stuff........came out fine...........haven't got any pic that shows just the bailey channel tho' I put new stuff on both the garnish molding and also on the door side so that the window rides up on new channel and through the new stuff on both sides........looks nice........ this pic showing a bald headed fart driving the car was all I could find, the stuff is just on the edge of the chrome molding above this guys right armpit........lol.........take my word for it...........lol...............andyd

P1010409.JPG