rear axle grease

Ed McDermott

I am redoing the right rear brakes on my 1948 dodge custom.  It took 7 days of on on and off effort with the puller and breaker bar before it  finally came off with a really big bang..

Question:  Is there any recommendations on applying any anti seize grease or grease to the shaft and keyway  to insure it will be easier to come off next time?

Also

There is a small crack on the outer edge of the drum (face of the drum and the side of the rim).  I assume this is non-repairable and needs to be replaced?

spindle.jpg

If the drum has a crack then it will need to be replaced.  One of my car club members runs a repair shop for antique cars and they do not recommend putting grease on the end of the axle shaft.  The drum will come off easier then next time. You had to break the grip of the tapered axle and all of the built up rust that has accumulated over the past 20= years fromthe car just sitting.  I take my drums off every 1-2 years and they come off easy and just hit the end of the puller dogbone with the hammer and they pop off the axle.. I have owned a 39 Desoto for 35 years.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Just to reinforce the above:  The shop manual is explicit, no lube on the taper.  The friction of that fit is the major player in preventing slipping/spinning of the hub on the axle.  Without that, the key would carry all the load and likely fail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1