Starters and Fuel Pumps Between Cars / Trucks

ChrisMinelli

Hello, I have been stripping a 1952 218 flathead off of a Dodge truck to harvest parts for my 1952 Plymouth.  I have noticed most are the same, but the starter on the truck engine has some sort of device on top of it that does not exist on my Plymouth's starter.  What is it, and can I use that starter on my car in the future if needed?  Also, the truck's fuel pump does not have a glass sediment bowl with a filter like mine does.  Is this a truck thing?  Sorry for the lack of photos, I can get them tomorrow if needed.  Thanks!

The truck starter has a footpedal start that goes through the floor and pushes the lever on top which engages the bendix and completes the circuit via the switch on top of the starter connected to the lever. I believe at that point the cars had a standard electric start with a solenoid and ignition switch thus eliminating the need for the lever on the starter. I tried to use a truck starter in my 49 but the lever contacted the steering column.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx1949 said:

You can add an inline filter prior to and after the fuel pump if you want instead.

It's on my list to add one.  The prior owner of my car would trim Fram inline fuel filters and put them inside the sediment bowl somehow.  He swore by it, but it doesn't ever seem to catch anything (that I can see).

Interesting that the no sediment bowl fuel pump was called the "export" pump as I have seen both types, ie with and without the glass filter bowl here in oz over the past 50 yrs........lol..........andyd 

As stated earlier, the trucks use the "stomp" starter, which probably won't work with your car. But your car starter should bolt right up, as you'd have to use your original bell housing anyway. 

As for the fuel pump, my truck has a sediment bowl. Apparently there were several different pump designs out there. Some have them and some don't. Again, use which ever fuel pump you'd normally use in your car. It doesn't matter. The basic engine should be the same as your Plymouth's, but many of the periphery parts may be slightly different. The distributor may also be different than what would be in a car, but would still be functional. 

I have about 6 or so spare fuel pumps that span over a few decades and mopar vehicle models. Some have sediment bowls. Some do not. When putting together a fuel pump I found parts to be interchangeable. I like sediment bowls. I see the fuel. I can see the sediment that they trap. They work well. 

My plymouth has the lever type foot starter. My same year Chrysler does not. It has the electric actuated bendix starter gear.  Both do the job well. I’m not convinced the electric actuator is an upgrade.  The manual foot lever is just fine, and simple. 

If putting in an inline gas fuel filter do not use the cheap plastic style filter that would be inthe engine compartment and near the manifold. If the plastic melted by accident then the fuel will spill onto the manifold and catch fire.  I use a metal filter that has a glass sediment bowel on the inine gas filter.

This is currently on ebay: 1933-1959 MoPar GAS FILTER Glass Bowl Plymouth Dodge DeSoto Chrysler Dodge Truck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143266495963?hash=item215b593ddb:g:Zg4AAOSw~hBc6Dtt

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

4 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

If putting in an inline gas fuel filter do not use the cheap plastic style filter that would be inthe engine compartment and near the manifold. If the plastic melted by accident then the fuel will spill onto the manifold and catch fire.  I use a metal filter that has a glass sediment bowel on the inine gas filter.

This is currently on ebay: 1933-1959 MoPar GAS FILTER Glass Bowl Plymouth Dodge DeSoto Chrysler Dodge Truck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143266495963?hash=item215b593ddb:g:Zg4AAOSw~hBc6Dtt

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

You know what, THAT in the Ebay listing is what is attached to my fuel pump (with the filter in the bowl... it's even the same casting).  The former owner must have attached it to the bottom of the fuel pump somehow.  Now I'm going to have to take a closer look after work.

5 hours ago, ChrisMinelli said:

You know what, THAT in the Ebay listing is what is attached to my fuel pump (with the filter in the bowl... it's even the same casting).  The former owner must have attached it to the bottom of the fuel pump somehow.  Now I'm going to have to take a closer look after work.

Chris:  I have this unit attached approximately about 2-3 inches before the fuel line goes into the carb.  It is my last chance to catch any dirt or junk in the fuel.  I link this unit becasue it looks period correct and has the paper filter and also has the glass bowel so you can see any sediment.  The glass bowel on the FP is harder to see so I use this as my first check and have had this on my car for over 20 years. The real period correct would be the Carter filter with the ceramic filter and would also have a glass bowel.

Rich Hartung

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

That filter housing looks nice.  Replacement paper filter should be WIX 33034.

I'd been looking for a number; about 15 years ago I had an old-time parts guy come up with a couple dusty Fram filters that worked but I didn't save the numbers. A couple weeks ago I bought a used glass bowl at the flea market, same style as the eBay listing, and paid $5. I have an aux. electric pump back at the tank with the inline filter it came with and I suppose that should catch most anything important, but I did notice in another car set up that way that the sediment bowl would eventually get a modest coat of "rust dust" a the bottom.

(BTW, if you want to experience a stress test, go to an auto parts store and ask the 18 year old behind the counter for a new filter for the electric fuel pump he has sitting there on the shelf. Point at the filter in the package. Expect to be underwhelmed! I made sure and write that number down after I figured it out.)