Cowl Ventilator Removal - P-15 Coupe

47 Coupe Tom

Hi all - in my zeal to keep going with the paint rectification on my coupe, I need to remove the cowl ventilator for a couple reasons:

1: The gasket is disintegrated  and needs to be replaced

2: The ventilator is the most practical-sized piece I can remove to get scanned for a paint color match for the spot repairs I will have to do

3: Some of the areas around the ventilator need touching up with new paint

I see the two elongated vertical holes in the mesh for accessing the four cross-head screws. Is that and the lever all there is? Or am I daydreaming?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi all - in my zeal to keep going with the paint rectification on my coupe, I need to remove the cowl ventilator for a couple reasons:

1: The gasket is disintegrated  and needs to be replaced

2: The ventilator is the most practical-sized piece I can remove to get scanned for a paint color match for the spot repairs I will have to do

3: Some of the areas around the ventilator need touching up with new paint

I see the two elongated vertical holes in the mesh for accessing the four cross-head screws. Is that and the lever all there is? Or am I daydreaming?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

From memory thats all you need to undo..those 4 screws and the adjustment bracket from the lever...........try to mark all spots where they attach so you can get it back in the same spot, maybe with a sharp scribe...........andyd

In my experience, cowl vents are real b*****s! Reinstalling can be a pain in the butt. The biggest problem is that I have never found a seal that is an exact fit and usually need modification. Use a good weather-strip adhesive to put it in place and tape the seal down until the adhesive has set. I usually leave mine for 24 hours. It is easy to use too much adhesive and this can lead to making a real mess. Don't ask how I know. Also, be careful when reinstalling the vent. Your new vent seal is probably a different thickness than the old one and will probably need some adjustment to seal well. Be careful with the edges toward the back as it is easy to mark the paint on the cowl itself.

I have done a minimum of four cowl seals and have never done one without getting somewhat frustrated. Good luck with the project and take your time.