Spark Plug Wire Order

msarnold1990

Hi All, 

I know the firing order for my 48 Dodge is 153624, I've followed my owners manual and connected the plug wires to were they are supposed to go on the distributor, but the engine still won't turn over. Not sure if I'm doing it correctly. 

Anyone know what position on the distributor the 1st cylinder is supposed to connect to? My cap has nothing marked on it and the distributor sits at a bit of an angle. 

normally around 7 o clock rotor position for #1 at TDC on its compression stroke. you can check TDC with the small plug directly over the #6 cyclinder at the back of the head as #1 and #6 are at TDC at the same time.. I use a 5/16" welding rod with the flux stripped off  in the hole to see the piston height. You can verify #1 is on the compression stroke by pulling #1 spark plug and trying to blow in some compressed air while at TDC. Resistance means its on the compression stroke. If air flows freely its on the exhaust stroke, you need to rotate it until its back at TDC on the compression stroke.

Edit: That is if it is stock and nobody messed with your oil pump indexing.

Edited by maddmaxx1949
additional info

By not turning over, do you mean not firing or actually not spinning? If it spins, pull the number 1 plug and crank it over with your thumb over the spark plug hole. When it blows your finger off, you're there or at least close. Pull the distributor cap off and see where the rotor is pointing. Should be around 7 o'clock if tbe oil pump was indexed correctly. That will be nimber one. Be aware that it can be 180 off. Should start up quick if it's right, if not you're probably 180 out.