Go for it or stay clear?

I think what I'm asking here is mostly personal opinions of what you might do.  I'm considering purchasing a 1948 Dodge Panel. 1/2 ton I think.  It will be used as a daily driver when the weather isn't suitable for my 48 Winsor, right through the winter.  It wouldn't be worked, but at the same time it wouldn't be babied.  The engine is a 1952 and it looks very similar to my 251.  However I've only seen pictures but it looks like it has the 25 inch head.  It has twin carbs with the oil bath filters and there is 2 - 3 inches between them. Which is one reason I think it has the 25 inch head. It has a pair of Carter B&B EV series carburetors on it.   I'm told the engine is in running condition and that it has been recently rebuilt.  Very clean looking engine with fresh looking grey paint and yellow paint on the raised "spitfire".  I'm told it has a 4 speed transmission.  However,,,,,, the owner says he can't get the clutch to engage. I know that could mean just a linkage adjustment, or a throw out bearing or maybe a clutch.  But I really don't have a shop to work in, yet.   So if I couldn't fix it in a couple days rolling around on the grass, then I'd have to tow it to a garage to be repaired.  $$$$$$. Not my first choice. 

I'm told that it has "painless wiring"  So I'm thinking that would mean it's been converted to 12 volts probably.  But other than going to the painless website I don't know anything about that company. Does that mean the points would have been deleted and a new wiring harness with electron ignition?  Fancy new LED headlights ( which is disappointing)  It has disc brakes so there has been some conversion going on there.  It has an 8 3/4" rear end as well. 

I suppose what I'm really looking to hear is that I should stay clear because certain parts for that engine/clutch/trans set up, just can't be found.  My personal experience with the major vintage mopar suppliers is pretty poor as far as receiving what I ordered from them. Being in Canada I'm learning some of them don't want my business because of their return policies, when they send me the wrong stuff.  

I've read that the twin carb set up is kind of rare, and I am looking for a panel, so maybe I shouldn't hesitate to scoop it up.  It sounds like a fair price at $8500 Canadian.  All the trim/moulding/badges seems to be there as well as the hood ornament,   It's been left outside to establish a natural rust patina on the roof and panel sides, and at some point it would seem that the front fenders and drivers door have been replaced because of their different colours.  I'm curious if that truck would have electric wipers like my 48 Windsor does?

Anyways it would be nice just to get some feed back on anybody's thoughts.  Of course without more specifics or getting it up on a hoist, I know it's difficult to make a fair assessment.

Cheers

I generally steer clear of other's projects because I've seen too many corners cut by guys wanting to flip for profit.  Anything beyond stock makes me wonder what little surprises are hiding like little time bombs.  Caveat Emptor ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

I generally steer clear of other's projects because I've seen too many corners cut by guys wanting to flip for profit.  Anything beyond stock makes me wonder what little surprises are hiding like little time bombs.  Caveat Emptor ?

Yes I hear you on that one. Especially when it comes to voltage conversions and wiring harness conversions.  

Edited by harmony

Having a good panel truck would be awesome. But in my opinion you need to look it over in person. I would not let little things like wiring scare me off. What you need to determine is if it has good "bones". Are all the panel truck only goodies all there? How much cancer does it have? What is missing? etc...

That is how I would look at it.

Jeff

The panel would be an ideal truck.....ability to haul x cargo out of the elements.....sadly, only you can make the car of worth verse price and desire to own.  Like the others, I would like to see a picture....sometimes FB market place ads are not visible to viewer if they are not FBers themselves.

I agree with the others. 
If its near complete,and wouldnt cost thousands to get it safetied and on the road it might be worth it. I did a thorough going through with my ‘51 Fargo. Being fair with my time i was 15,000 into it without a speck of bodywork. I call $30/hour fair as my shop rate is $85. 
thats to get it driveable and safetied. 
Then i spent another near 100 hours repowering it. 

i just looked over a similar truck,he has a lot of hours into it and i feel i would have to redo 50% of his work, if not more.some guys are real hacks. 

you need to put your eyes on it,top to bottom. 

Yes I do agree with everyone so far.  It's a little ways away from me, but here in BC the covid restrictions have been lifted so I can go have a look without being turned back by the authorities,  but I'm still a little uncomfortable booking a nights stay in a hotel even though I've had both my covid shots. 

I might buy it sight unseen for maybe half that price, but for sure I'd take a pair of coveralls, and my vacuum gauge and my compression tester and go over the truck carefully.  I'll see if I can successfully take some pictures right off the ad and see how they turn out. 

As far as the wiring goes, Painless has an excellent reputation.  If he/she did worksmanlike work installing it that part should be OK.  They provide harnesses for original or voltage conversion as well as generator or alternator.  Ignition type is independent of the wiring harness for the most part, with some exceptions. 

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

As far as the wiring goes, Painless has an excellent reputation.  If he/she did worksmanlike work installing it that part should be OK.  They provide harnesses for original or voltage conversion as well as generator or alternator.  Ignition type is independent of the wiring harness for the most part, with some exceptions. 

That's good to know

if you can, go look at it...sounds like a pretty good deal and panels are hard to find.  Look for the hidden rust...panels have some spots that are unique (rear fenders, rear doors, drip rail, etc.) compared to the pickups.  As stated wiring sounds ok, its looking at the mods that have been done that you mentioned (brake conversion and anything else). Get under it, check it over, take it for a spin.  He's a mutt with all the parts from different vehicles put on so hopefully they are all solid bits!  

Does seem like the seat bases have some mods as well.  And you can always get rid of the LED lights.

You call it a 1948, but the dash and windshield wipers indicate it is not. I’m not familiar enough with the dash layout or exactly when the dash changed, but it was sometime after 1950. It appears someone replaced the grill with one from a 48-50 model. Someone with more knowledge than me can probably say what year it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David A. said:

You call it a 1948, but the dash and windshield wipers indicate it is not. I’m not familiar enough with the dash layout or exactly when the dash changed, but it was sometime after 1950. It appears someone replaced the grill with one from a 48-50 model. Someone with more knowledge than me can probably say what year it is. 

Good catch on the dash.  I didn't think to check on that, but after a little research it seems to me that style of dash was introduced in 1951.  What did you notice about the wipers that made you think it's not a 48?

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

if you can, go look at it...sounds like a pretty good deal and panels are hard to find.  Look for the hidden rust...panels have some spots that are unique (rear fenders, rear doors, drip rail, etc.) compared to the pickups.  As stated wiring sounds ok, its looking at the mods that have been done that you mentioned (brake conversion and anything else). Get under it, check it over, take it for a spin.  He's a mutt with all the parts from different vehicles put on so hopefully they are all solid bits!  

Does seem like the seat bases have some mods as well.  And you can always get rid of the LED lights.

Yes, once a guy comes to terms with it being a mutt, then it's just a matter of how well it's been put together.  The owner said he has the contact info for the guy that did the engine swap and "all the work".  

The wipers are mounted out wider and park inboard. This was one of the changes to the cab design for the B3 series in 1951. I didn't catch it earlier either, but it appears to have a B1 or B2 nose on a B3 body. The doors, dash, and wiper placement are all '51-'52 B3 series and the grill and hood are '48-'50 B1/B2 series. 

Interesting that the right front fender is blue, matching the hood, but the left front fender is green, matching the body color on the right side, although the left side is blue????? Maybe it's just the way the color comes out in the photos, but it certainly looks like a mutt. However, it looks pretty solid. If an in person doesn't reveal any serious issues it seems like a good find. 

3 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

The wipers are mounted out wider and park inboard. This was one of the changes to the cab design for the B3 series in 1951. I didn't catch it earlier either, but it appears to have a B1 or B2 nose on a B3 body. The doors, dash, and wiper placement are all '51-'52 B3 series and the grill and hood are '48-'50 B1/B2 series. 

Interesting that the right front fender is blue, matching the hood, but the left front fender is green, matching the body color on the right side, although the left side is blue????? Maybe it's just the way the color comes out in the photos, but it certainly looks like a mutt. However, it looks pretty solid. If an in person doesn't reveal any serious issues it seems like a good find. 

Great info Merle on how it was pieced together.  I too was puzzled ????? by the colour scheme so to say.  I also was wondering if it's just the lighting in the pictures because it just doesn't make sense as you go from side to side. 

Odd placement of the floor shifter.

Looks like new windshield rubber/glass?

Clear "Mutt" title?

16 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Odd placement of the floor shifter.

Looks like new windshield rubber/glass?

Clear "Mutt" title?

So true.  But in reference, I've had quite a few dogs over the years, Purebreds as well as Mutts.  The Mutts always had great personalities and they were always entertaining as well as crowd pleasers ?

These Mutty Dodge panels are kinda an  odd looking ride but crowd pleasers too....

My brother has had his 50 Dodge panel since 1968. Had a peace symbol on each side. Hippie days back then.

I used it as a kid doing gardening and hauling brush to the dump during a couple summers.

• Haha 1

They are pretty cool. I was just checking FB and boom there was this one that didn't last 40 minutes. Marketplace - 1940 Dodge Panel truck | Facebook Pics look like good metal too.

So I would say if you have the money and time check it out. Good deals don't last long. 

11 minutes ago, Veemoney said:

They are pretty cool. I was just checking FB and boom there was this one that didn't last 40 minutes. Marketplace - 1940 Dodge Panel truck | Facebook Pics look like good metal too.

So I would say if you have the money and time check it out. Good deals don't last long. 

That body style is awesome.  I'm guessing the purchaser had a trans and engine all ready to drop in it.

56 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

These Mutty Dodge panels are kinda an  odd looking ride but crowd pleasers too....

My brother has had his 50 Dodge panel since 1968. Had a peace symbol on each side. Hippie days back then.

I used it as a kid doing gardening and hauling brush to the dump during a couple summers.

That's a long time.  Even in 68, that 50 panel would get lots of looks. Did he save the peace symbols on the doors?

Right about that same time, my friend had a mid 50's panel that we would cruise around in.  I've wanted one ever since.  I'm pretty sure it was a Ford, so naturally our friendship didn't really bond. ?

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

To this point you should assure the hood is set up right for the B1/B2 front clip and not a B3/B4 hood.

• Thanks 1