Dad’s Mystery Parts

Ulu

This is about parts I inherited, when my dad died 20 years ago, and still cannot figure out. I started going through some of it long forgotten, in the search for something else.

This thing is about half an inch thick and 4 inches at the longest point. The big hole is two and three eights inches.

866A5342-82E4-4BD2-9AF3-48C502A39114.jpeg.2c365e18cda7baef1e50732570382e2f.jpeg

I think this may be antique plumbing. It looks like cast iron, painted grey.

D4FE92CE-B3CD-413D-9AC7-6E63414F9532.jpeg.3420a29d5ac8b053578ec355ccc48ca5.jpeg

Dad paid 10 cents for it in 1968 at a surplus shop in Duluth, that sold tools and odd bits.

C9167BDA-0BB7-480D-A89B-99F08A1E22CB.jpeg.4769403909ea10a65be9eaa93676e207.jpeg

Edited by Ulu

Bearing press attachment?  It would be helpful to put something recognizable in the pictur for size proportion. Especially with closeups. A quarter, pen, disposable lighter, half inch wrench, etc.

Edited by greg g

10 hours ago, greg g said:

Bearing press attachment?  It would be helpful to put something recognizable in the pictur for size proportion. Especially with closeups. A quarter, pen, disposable lighter, half inch wrench, etc.

I did not think about putting a ruler in the photos until after I had taken and posted them, but that’s why I added the dimensions. This thing fits in the palm.

It’s definitely not suitable for press work because it’s made out of cast iron and it’s not too thick. I’m thinking some kind of a gland for a shaft or pipe packing.