Oil filter?

Boody

Any filter is better than no filter, that said, from any I've cut apart Fram doesn't have as much filtering material as other brands and are a bit more expensive. I don't know what sort of a filter these canisters originaly had, but I remember a box of blue felt 'doughnuts' in a box of junk I bought at an auction, and Dad saying they used to be used in these bypass filters. 

There were a number of aftermarket bypass filter housings available back then in addition to at least three variations from the factory. I just took a look at the information I have for the factory variants and don’t see a Fram C-3 listed as a cross referenced insert cartridge. So either my cross reference information is incomplete or you have a non-factory housing. I suggest you take careful measurements of that C-3 cartridge and then look for a currently available replacement.

1 hour ago, Jim G said:

Any filter is better than no filter, that said, from any I've cut apart Fram doesn't have as much filtering material as other brands and are a bit more expensive. 

FRAM is probably one of the worst if not the worst that you could use.

An interesting project Oil Filters Revealed

• Like 1

Been using NAPA 1080 gold when I do filter changes. I believe there is a WIX filter with a similar number.  Both have more filtering media than the Fram.  These are bypass filters and as designed only get about 30% of oil flowing through the system.  But as previously  stated any filter is better than no filter.

Edited by greg g

On 7/19/2021 at 2:34 PM, The Oil Soup said:

Does anyone have a source for Baldwin JC405 sock filter, from what I’ve seen online only case lots are available.

I ordered one from Application Associates in early March and finally got it yesterday. Somebody contacted me from the company early on and said they had a cross-reference to a Fleetguard number. The Fleetguard never showed up, so I don't know if it was a match or not.

I have an aftermarket AC metal housing like what you have on your car.  I took my housing to a napa store and we tried several of the drop in filter elements.  I use the NAPA 1010 Gold filter and these were used on the Mercedes cars.  The napa 1010 is the same as a Wixx 1010 filter.

So get a filter that fits the canister and get two while you are there then you have a spare ready for the next oil and filter change. Most of the time you have to order these and wait a day.  I use a meat baster to suck out the old oil from the bottom of the metal canister and do not use the drain plug, to messy.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

1 hour ago, billschwindt said:

It won't make much difference what filter you use ,because that system is only a bypass system . It filters only a small amount of oil ! 

With the proper depth media, a bypass filter gives you the effect of a full oil change every few miles. Is that what you mean by “it won't make much difference”?