Parade Duty

DonaldSmith

About 15 years ago, my 47 DeSoto was in a parade.  Walking pace.  Fluid Drive semi-automatic.  Hot.  The car stalled.  Dead.  No cranking.  (Pushed off to a side street.)  A few hours later, the car started right up.  I theorized that the electrical connections may have heated up and opened the starter grounding circuit to the generator.   Fast forward:  Star washers on all important electrical bolt-and-nut connections.  Went with an alternator, so I permanently grounded the wire from the solenoid.  Installed a pusher fan, with automatic thermostat, just in case.   All these improvements, and no parade duty since.   That's the way it goes. 

Wondering about overheating the fluid coupling.   Instructions say not to idle in gear with the foot on the brake for more than five minutes, such as waiting for a train; shift into neutral, or depress the clutch.   Would low-speed parade duty overheat the fluid coupling?    Would the low range, first and second gear be better or worse than drive range third and fourth?   What happens to an overheated fluid coupling?  Just wondering.  

Flash back to the Lansing, Michigan Centennial Parade, with a line of  dignitaries in new 1959 Oldsmobile convertibles, many of them (the cars) succumbing to overheating, from traveling so slow.   Hoods up.  Geysers.  Egg on someone's face.  

Our village parades are are just short of 1.75 mile. The first  6/10ths are down hill, so I I use Georgia OD, aka coasting. There is one short up hill stretch to the mostly level remainder of the route. The only stopage point is at the reviewing stands where the bands, entertainers an local politicians do their minute and a half schtique.  The only time we have come close  to overheating was the year the Governor was here an took more than his alloted minutes at the reviewing stand.

Most parade organizers do not understand how heat and slow moving pace affect these older cars.  The olders cars need to have air movement to keep the engine  cool.

In one of my car clubs memorial day parade we have set the rules with the parade committee that all antique cars are at the beginning of the parade. This has eliminated the over heating issue with our cars and also permits the cars to move at a faster pace and if there is a problem we can then get out of line and get to the end of the parade and shut down the engine.

There are other clubs especially at July 4th that still will not put the cars first and over heating still happens with several of the car.  One year this happened to me and becsue of the heat I had a hard time getting the car restarted and had a backfire and then it blew out my muffler.  That was the last time I did that parade and the parade committee did not even ask if they could help out with the repair.

So prior to going to any parade i always ask were the cars are in the parade route.   If we not first I do not participate and explain the reason. Some committes understand but most do not.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

One thing to also keep in mind is that the engine driven fan will pull more air through the radiator at higher engine speeds.  So instead of lumping along in 3rd you might try 2nd to increase the air flow through the radiator.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

One thing to also keep in mind is that the engine driven fan will pull more air through the radiator at higher engine speeds.  So instead of lumping along in 3rd you might try 2nd to increase the air flow through the radiator.

I agree but when you are in the parade and there are walking groups ahead of your car you can only go as fast as the group in front of you.  So sometimes just being in 1st gear is the fastest that you can go and then you also get the stopping and standing effect.  So unless the old cars are inthe front or first group I do not put my car in a parade. Learned the hard time with a muffler and tailpipe repair that I had to pay out of my own pocket.  Not worth the trouble of getting people saying how nice your car look and other comments.  The cost of the parts and if any labor cost is solely on the car owner. Not worth the gamble of hurting the car.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I think I've only been in a parade once in a manual and the challenge was that the old pickup I had didn't like any of the 3 gears at that speed, and with so many stops, no matter how slow I tried to drive, I feared what wear I was inflicting on the clutch or throw-out bearing. I didn't have that much experience driving a stick at the time, so I asked my friend who was ahead of me in a shoebox Ford. He said he had a secret but wouldn't reveal it :( I made it, regardless.

yes you can turn on the heater to get more water flow but when you are in a July 4th parade and the outside temp is in the high 80's plus high humidity turning on the heater and getting even more hot air into the car is the last thing that i want to do.  Its hot enough without putting more heat into the old 39 Desoto.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

On cars with a fluid coupling, the drag on the engine if it is sitting will heat the engine up. Not enough flow of the water pump nor enough air over the radiator.

That is why the Chrysler docs tell you to not leave a fluid drive car in gear for more than 5 minutes at a dead stop. I have noted that less than 10 MPH can also cause an issue if it goes on for 5 or 10 minutes on a really hot day.

That said, if I clutch it, I can crawl along or sit stopped all day at 100+ outside an it will not over heat. Go up to about 190F to 195F sure, but never overheat.

My block was acid dipped before I rebuilt it. My radiator has dimple tubes. The fan is a six blade from a dodge truck.  I have a pusher 6V fan I can kick on as well.

I run water wetter and soulable oil an no antifreeze.

As I plan on the total rebuild of the Desoto Suburban for cross county adventures, I plan on using an electric water pump and 2 puller fans on the radiator so that at idle with the coupling in place I should be ok. The one thing I am also looking at is a small fan that would blow air into the bell housing to cool the coupling when in slow traffic. The little fans blades on the housing do not move any air when it is not spinning good. So that would help keep the actual coupling cooler.

About 6 years ago a friend with a new 1946 Chrysler T&C was sitting idle for 10 minutes waiting to be placed in a spot for a car show. He left his Chrysler 8 sitting at idle in gear. His fluid coupling started to smoke like hell, years of grime started to burn off of it as it got so hot. We pulled the bottom cover and wiped it down the next day and he now makes sure he pushes in the clutch if he is siting for more than a few minutes. Interesting in that the engine itself got hot but did not overheat.

James.

From above Doug and Deb. (I wonder what people in urban areas did when the cars were new. M6 equipped cars were used for taxis also. Makes me wonder.)

My guess is they probably put them in Neutral to increase water flow throughout the block.

I personally would never do a Parade for the reasons listed above. It is usually in the 90's around here in July anyhow.

Large Car Shows (Charlotte Motor Speedway) make people sign waivers as to any damage done at shows just aren't worth risking, in addition to that younger people do not even notice my 1948 at shows anymore, they have zero interest in these old buses.

I drive my car once a weekend day real early in the morning and avoid crowded areas as well. Keep it moving it stays cool.

Keeping my Flat Head Engine happy is the deal. Keeping people I don't know happy is my last concern in so much as showing my car off.

Like DeSoto39 said above as old car owners we are on our own. People don't even look at my old bus out on the road anymore.

They are oblivious to their surroundings, while playing with their screens on their dashes or telephones. We are pretty invisible driving around.

Stay safe! Flush or Drain the block every other year or so and add fresh antifreeze that tends to make a difference also.

Tom

I agree that people don’t pay attention to these cars at shows anymore. That’s why I rarely go to any shows. I get much more attention when I’m out and about in the car. Sort of a one man show. I drive vintage cars because I enjoy it. If it brings a smile to someone’s face that’s a bonus. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 11:21 AM, Doug&Deb said:

I agree that people don’t pay attention to these cars at shows anymore. That’s why I rarely go to any shows. I get much more attention when I’m out and about in the car. Sort of a one man show. I drive vintage cars because I enjoy it. If it brings a smile to someone’s face that’s a bonus. 

They notice but pretend they don't notice out of envy.

older cars in a parade atmosphere does not offer the spectator a walk-around of the older car and thus the less than attentive view as you pass by.  Given the other scenario where they can observe other angles and attributes...yeah...interest is a bit more peaked.   Out and about in normal drive situations...most folks like the flavor of an older car in the mix....seeing it used for its intended purpose brings joy.

12 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Out and about in normal drive situations...most folks like the flavor of an older car in the mix....seeing it used for its intended purpose brings joy.

This has been my observation. The condition doesn't matter; it could be a pure beater. Seeing it rolling down the highway, or sitting in the parking lot at Red Lobster, or anywhere out and about will bring smiles, thumbs-up, horn honks, questions at stoplights, etc. Sit and watch traffic someday; it will take a while to see even something from the 80s. Exceedingly rare to see anything from the 40s, especially when you eliminate hot-rods from that list.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, Doug&Deb said:

I wonder what people in urban areas did when the cars were new. M6 equipped cars were used for taxis also. Makes me wonder.

As far as I can tell from my reading all the taxi's that Jimmy Waters built, which was most of them that were MOPAR based used 3-speeds.  As to Urban areas, traffic back in the day was nothing when compared to today. Even as a kid in the 1960's we never waited to pay a toll at the Golden Gate or Bay Bridge.

No comparison between today and when these cars were built traffic wise.

James