1948 Plymouth Question

Labrauer

I have been reading a lot about rear ends and axels being swapped. I have seen where there are some that are almost a bolt in and then again I read that people have to do a lot of work in order to make things work or line up. 

My question is what are the dimensions of a 48 Plymouth coupe rear end and if you know what rear end will work as a bolt up with disc brakes.

One more question I have is there a car or truck frame that a 48 P15 coupe will bolt up to and still have the look of an old body but more modern features.  

511.JPG

There is a chart in the downloads section with the 37 through 49 or 50 rear end dimensions with those of likely donors.  I believe Mopar B bodies were within 1/4 inch when split side to side.

There is also a page on carnut.com with donor info.

Edited by greg g

for a newer bolt on chassis....only the 1949 first series will be the only true bolt on upgrade....

Magazine articles and reality TV NEVER show the work of the 45 back shops supporting their article or 30 minute video (19 minutes less advertisements)  if you go to any newer frame, be it whole, clipped or shortened/lengthened.....you are in for a series of mods that will always lead you into other mods and often much deeper as yo progress......take the plunge and start a thread....enjoy the ride...

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest Ford because it has the same bolt pattern as the Plymouth, so you can use your same wheels. I think the important thing to look for is the length of the axels, you can always move the mounting plates to match the spring mount. You will want to keep the measurements as close to the original rear end as possible. Your big problem is the drive shaft, if you can get the drive shaft with the rear end it will help when it come time to alter the the drive shaft. 

I'm not sure why you need disc brake in the rear if the car is stock, you can always do front disc brakes and they stop the car great, Scarebird has a kit that comes with all the instruction where you can do the whole job yourself. (805-387-4132)