54 dodge C1H vacuum brakes

Hi Dan, sounds like you have a two speed rear axle and your looking for the rear axle vacuum control valve?   (Photo from B3GA)

ACB23A66-FF7B-4DE5-B5C1-140005B64F77.jpeg.c3956dfcc2fe52cd80a11bbfee1d69c3.jpeg

my B3HH has what I would guess you could call a “manual”. It acts like a high/low under the choke knob, rather than the button on the shifter.

8C3423CD-00E8-4D90-B5D2-C50F7E4CD44B.jpeg.151ebf77621d7aee1e52c880de3d1fea.jpeg

it does not use the same vacuum control valve, but rather a later model or a “farmer fix” 

6372888B-58C3-4ACF-96CB-19B60CB89F96.jpeg.bddcd57e083efc214e3b2bcaaeeeee9f.jpeg

little cumbersome but, I don’t think you “nuts”  (just yet ?)

• Thanks 1

The early "W" series trucks used mechanicalinkage to shift the rear axle...using a two foot tall shift lever in the cab....long rods going back the the 2 speed shifter lever.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan Yager said:

BrentB3B. Looks like we have the same actuator on the fire wall. My problem is at the rear end. I was thinking of running some mechanism from the cab straight to the rear end

Gotcha, so your missing..... 

00159B65-2BDB-4C48-93EA-5A82990ECB60.jpeg.2f97724094b798ca33bafd4dd62499f3.jpeg

i miss understood. 

19 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The early "W" series trucks used mechanicalinkage to shift the rear axle...using a two foot tall shift lever in the cab....long rods going back the the 2 speed shifter lever.

That’s what I’m thinking. Thank you. Good to know I’m not totally nuts. Ha!

18 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Gotcha, so your missing..... 

00159B65-2BDB-4C48-93EA-5A82990ECB60.jpeg.2f97724094b798ca33bafd4dd62499f3.jpeg

i miss understood. 

I have that same one attached but it’s all rusted and hammered. Have had no luck in finding a replacement. That’s why I was thinking mechanical shifter. Sorry for any confusion. I’m still really new to all of this old dodge stuff!

1 hour ago, Dan Yager said:

I have that same one attached but it’s all rusted and hammered. Have had no luck in finding a replacement. That’s why I was thinking mechanical shifter. Sorry for any confusion. I’m still really new to all of this old dodge stuff!

did you try it anyway?  mine looked pretty grim when i bought it, and it wouldn't shift (it was frozen in low).  a bit of time spent cleaning off the old grease, and spraying the pivots/linkages with PB'laster and i had it working.  that was back in 2007.  it still works today.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wallytoo said:

did you try it anyway?  mine looked pretty grim when i bought it, and it wouldn't shift (it was frozen in low).  a bit of time spent cleaning off the old grease, and spraying the pivots/linkages with PB'laster and i had it working.  that was back in 2007.  it still works today.

I will give that a go. Never even considered trying to see if it’s free!!! Ha!  Thank you

On 7/18/2021 at 7:06 AM, Dan Yager said:

I didn't pay attention to your picture.

I have a couple shifter diaphram's that look the same.

They shift just fine.

Lube the pivots up as previously mentioned.

You really need the factory shop manual to fully understand how the 2 speed shifter system operates too.

6 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I didn't pay attention to your picture.

I have a couple shifter diaphram's that look the same.

They shift just fine.

Lube the pivots up as previously mentioned.

You really need the factory shop manual to fully understand how the 2 speed shifter system operates too.

Dodgeb4ya. I have the manual and have been reading about it. Do you know what the vacuum do dad does behind the speedometer?  

22 minutes ago, Dan Yager said:

Dodgeb4ya. I have the manual and have been reading about it. Do you know what the vacuum do dad does behind the speedometer?  

That little gearbox at the back of the speedometer senses when the rear axle shifts into High or Low range and adjusts the speedometer reading so it reads correctly in both gear ratios. 

• Thanks 1