redi/speedi sleeves for axle seals

harmony

In a previous post I was going on and on about getting the proper axle/pinion seals for my 48 Chrysler.  I believe my local Napa store has tracked down a set of Timken seals that just might work ( inner & outer rear axle, and pinion). From what I've read it's a good practice to install redi/speedi sleeves when replacing the seal.  I haven't pulled mine out yet so I don't even know if I will need them, but I'm guessing it can't hurt for the price of them.   However Timken has passed on a pdf file to me, and for each redi-sleeve that I need,  there are multiple choices as to the widths.  Would it be safe to say, order the redi-sleeves that are slightly wider than my seals, and call it a day?

Has anyone ever installed a redi/speedi-sleeve for the axle inner seal?  Obviously the installation tool that comes with the sleeve won't work.  It looks a bit like a wheel bearing grease cap.  So I'm thinking I will get a 3 foot or so length of schedule 40 PVC pipe as close to the dia. of the sleeve as possible so it just slips over it and seats on the flange.  Then tap the far end until the sleeve seats itself.   Does that make sense?  

"These days my body feels like a vintage car.  Every time I cough or sneeze, my radiator leaks and my exhaust backfires"

8 hours ago, harmony said:

Has anyone ever installed a redi/speedi-sleeve for the axle inner seal?  Obviously the installation tool that comes with the sleeve won't work.  It looks a bit like a wheel bearing grease cap.  So I'm thinking I will get a 3 foot or so length of schedule 40 PVC pipe as close to the dia. of the sleeve as possible so it just slips over it and seats on the flange.  Then tap the far end until the sleeve seats itself.   Does that make sense?  

Unless  you're really lucky the PVC won't be exactly the right size.  But,  you can cut a slot out of the pipe and resize it with a hose clamp or two until it fits the sleeve OD and rest on the flange.   If you get really lucky the axle has been kept well lubed and you won't need them.  Since axles turn so much slower that the other parts that normally need sleeving, maybe they won't be worn.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Unless  you're really lucky the PVC won't be exactly the right size.  But,  you can cut a slot out of the pipe and resize it with a hose clamp or two until it fits the sleeve OD and rest on the flange.   If you get really lucky the axle has been kept well lubed and you won't need them.  Since axles turn so much slower that the other parts that normally need sleeving, maybe they won't be worn.

Good suggestion about slots and a hose clamp to get a tight fit.