Kew Engine,

Pauld

Can anybody help, looking for some tri metal main bearings for my 25inch 6 cylinder, iam located in Australia. 

Going to be used in Dodge special race car,

Also looking for all the torque settings for that motor,

Thanks,

Paul.

Contact Mark at rdusaclassics.com, Although most of their business is USA to Europe, he should be able to find and ship bearing inserts down under.  Have you ascertained  if they are standard sized or will need to be fitted after the crankshaft is turned. There are several sources for engine parts here, I have had good luck dealing with Terrell   machine parts in Texas, and EGGE in California.  EGGE has an online catalog, Terrell does phone orders 245 893 2610, they are located in DeLeon, Texas.  I would like to be a fly on the wall when the conversation occurs,  just to see how the Oz to Texas language accents work out.

Mark is a member of this forum and I know he has customers  that order parts from US vendors, have them shipped to his address.  He will then forward them to you using UPS or DHL

Contact  by email at. Mark@rdusaclassics.com. Good luck with your project.  Keep in mind that these engines don't like rpms over 3600 for extended periods with out modifying the lower end oiling system.

Best place to find torque settings is in the service manual for your engine, reproductions are available on eBay.

Major items from my manual for Plymouth I believe the Dodge values are the same.  There is a sequence for the head bolts and torturing should be done in three go around. At 45, 60, then 70.  Then an insequence re torque after the engine is brought up to running tem for the initial time coolant temp should be 100 to 120 degrees when the retorque is done.

The sequence starts  in the middle then works out to the ends of the head.

As viewed from the left side 

17, 11, 5, 2, 8, 14, 20

16, 10, 4, 1, 7, 13, 19

18, 12, 6, 3, 9, 15, 21

20210714_114349.jpg

Edited by greg g

Paul......welcome aboard............as a rule the term "kew" will only confuse the North americans as it was only used in Australia to refer to the 25" DeSoto/Chrysler based engine that were used in Oz mopars..........have you tried Jim Robinson in Victoria and also Les Sonter in Sydney?.........where are you located?..........also all torque settings and engine info is in the 1946-53 Oz Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto Workshop manuals that were published by Scientific Publications in the 1950's and are seen on Oz ebay....the manual covers BOTH 23" and 25" engines.........I can copy & post some info if you need it.............Andy Douglas

Thanks Guys that's been very helpful,

I have had experience with the Texas/Aus conversation and it can be quite interesting sometimes.

I've called Jim Robinson but he is on holidays until September. I will try Les in Sydney and Mark at rdusaclassics

We are modifying the oiling system as well 

Thanks again,

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t had much luck finding these bearings as yet, Jim Robinson is on holidays and the only number I can find for Les is disconnected.

I have emailed a lot of suppliers in the US including Mark with no success.

I’ll keep searching 

Also got myself a manual off eBay?

Auto Surplus in Melbourne maybe another option to try.

Pauld.....you mention that you want "tri metal" mains.....I thought that the standard mopar slipper bearings are tri metal..........but happy to learn something new.......are you looking for a specific brand or such, ie, Clevite 77 or whatever?..........Les Sonters phone number from the latest NSW Chrysler Restorer magazine is 02 9639 8703 and theres a guy in the latest Restored Cars Magazine that came out this week, advertising Mopar stuff, no name but he is in Sydney going by the phone number which is 02 9871 7647..........BTW is your car the one that Ted Robinette mentions in Australian Street Rodding magazine occaisonally when he does reports on the Winton race meetings?........got a pic of the car?..........andyd

Pauld,

Maybe try calling this company that has many parts made for them by top companies for older cars. My make some parts themselves.

Maybe they can help you or direct you to one that will make the parts for you?

https://egge.com/info/catalog/

Best to ya,

DJ

Thanks Guys,

I have contacted Les and Paul in Sydney, they might be able to help. Sent an email to EGGE as well and hope to hear back.

The car has raced at Winton with the previous owner, not sure about that article though. I will be at Winton as soon as im up and running.

The bearings we are hoping to get are a Clevite or other tri metal type, copper lead, to suit high performance. 

Paul.

Car Resized.jpg

• Like 1

Paul.......are you aware of Clevite bearings being made or available for the Mopar 25inch engine?...........also have you contacted the Montana Mopar Boys thru this site or Earl Eggerton also thru this site...........and what was/is the issue with standard mopar main bearings?..........has the oil system been modified?........it would help if you gave some more info regarding what the issue is etc..........BTW where are you located?.........I'm in Grafton, NSW north coast........Andy Douglas

Thanks Andy, i have got onto one of the guys (Paul Corey) in Sydney and he has some bearings that are being sent down. 

I am in Melbourne and the engine builder says that the standard bearings won't stand up to the racing application. We are also modifying the oil system and sump as well. I also contacted EGGE and they can get some as well, i went local as it just would be a bit quicker.

Hopefully this should do the trick,

Regards,

Paul.

Paul.....we need more pics, especially the engine setup...........whats been done to the engine BTW?............what year is the chassis etc..........I'm an inquisitive buggar.........lol.......what makes the engine builder think the bearings won't stand up to the racing?.......usually for racing they allow an extra few thou bearing clearances to accommodate heat, also is there any way you can run an oil cooler?.......does the current oil system have any external oil lines, if so then they could be plumbed thru an oil cooler.............. .andyd

Edited by Andydodge
more info

I’m just going with their advice re bearings

new engine will have a new cam. We will be keeping the triple ball and ball carbs. It has a set of hand made headers.

we are putting forged pistons in the new engine, new modified sump and oiling system. 
I want to put an oil cooler in as well.

its a chev 4 chassis approx 1938

B00B8F83-AC0E-4E02-8F9A-AE46FC6A8163.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice looking engine, judging by the holes in the head bolt shafts I'd guess that it has ARP head studs......BTW Chev's last 4 cylinder was 1928 or maybe 1929........Chev chassis from around 36/37 were of a top hat design with rather than the C channel which your car seems to have......the top hat design is rather like an inverted U with a plate riveted onto the bottom closing the U.........your chassis would seem to suggest 1928........neat car........why does the engine rebuilder suggest upgraded bearings?........I'd be talking to the Montana Mopar guys who race their flathead mopars on Bonneville salt...........andyd