Vacuum Wipers and Voltage Choices

Loren

19 hours ago, Loren said:

I found a Double Diaphragm pump.

I also found a new production rebuild kit for it.

I just scanned the manual and it says there is a very strong spring inside which requires special handling.

It suggests replacing two of the screws with longer ones to gradually release the pressure.

That's advise I intend to pay close attention to as I have very bad luck with spring surprises.

Must go back to my early years and Jack-In-the-Box toys. lol

Haven't disassembled a MoPar double pump but several AC double. Vacuum spring is stronger than fuel side but not stronger than can be pressed back by hand.

On the subject of 12V wiper motors, I have converted my 54 to 12V and haven't been able to find a source for a 12V motor. I've called some shops to ask about rewinding. No joy there. I'd rather not build a voltage divider since I am looking to have a early to mid 60s period build. It has been mentioned in this thread that a 12V 2 speed replacement is available. Can you point me to it?

3 hours ago, pontiacguy said:

On the subject of 12V wiper motors, I have converted my 54 to 12V and haven't been able to find a source for a 12V motor. I've called some shops to ask about rewinding. No joy there. I'd rather not build a voltage divider since I am looking to have a early to mid 60s period build. It has been mentioned in this thread that a 12V 2 speed replacement is available. Can you point me to it?

Okay I spotted an intriguing idea made for VW 6 volt vehicles.

It's a circuit board which reduces the current from 12 volts to 6 volts and adds the infinite speed option.

Best of all it's under $60!

I found it at www.2.cip1.com Part Number C13-9344

I thought about it for a while and I concluded that you could add an intermittent wiper feature if you added a 12 volt relay.

That device works by giving the wiper motor just enough "ON" to get it past the Park Position, then the automatic parking contact of the motor takes over to return the wipers to the Park Position. They add a variable timer circuit to add more versatility.

If you want to go to the two speed 12 volt electric route many outfits have them which bolt right in for around $290. These could have the intermittent feature added even easier (no relay required).