Cooling Off

RobertKB

I had the ‘51 Dodge D39 business coupe out for a run today. It was a pretty hot day and when I stopped, it was time for cooling off. Motor is still a big stiff after the rebuild and runs a tiny bit warm. Although not necessary, I put the hood up to help her cool down a bit more quickly once the engine was shut off. For me, I opened the trunk lid as the trunk floor is the perfect height to sit on and have a cool one. Both cooled off, we continued on our way a half hour later. 

CDBB143A-1D07-40F9-A5DB-C3922C2B2D61.jpeg.11cde47dce6a225e1481b26f5b661d54.jpeg

07F2D4E5-8B4B-41CD-B52A-6EB8841A5918.jpeg.f85ef4c39b9d600ab52c74cc73bca1b9.jpeg

• Like 8

I’m guessing mine runs around there or just a bit cooler. Recored radiator as well. 

My ‘48 and ‘53 both with original, or at least not recored, radiators tend to run a bit cooler. Both engines have a lot of miles but run great. I get the impression rebuilds tend to run a bit hotter until well broken in. Just my impression. 

Biggest issue is room, too aggressive a pitch on the blades will get them closer to hitting things.  Chrysler used to put a 5 bladed clutch fan setup on the Diplomats adn the like.  But that will not fit our rides.