Pin Hone King Pin Honeing

I live in Grand Junction Co about 250 miles from Denver. I have been unable to find a machine shop that can hone king pins.  Does anyone in Denver know if there is a place that installs and hones king pins? Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Larr

I always thought reaming was a little sloppy.  Were you happy with the fit?  What is the name of your local machine shop?  Thanks Larry

I have always had them done accurately on a sunnen hone type machine.

Better .001 to .002" fit.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Way back in the 60s/70s I had access to  a 50 ton press, Sunnen pin hone, valve seat machine and valve refacer in the back of a parts store that had stopped doing such work.  I bought all my parts there and they let me use the machines whenever I needed them.  Boy, I miss having that quality of stuff at my disposal. 

I have a press and valve stuff, but nothing like the quality they had.

The hone made king pins a quick and easy job.  Not necessarily better than a reamer, but certainly faster.

Edited by kencombs

Not many quality automotive machine shop guys left anymore who can do excellent machine work.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
DA working mistake.

I haven's tried a diesel shop but will check.  I stopped at the only hot rod shop in town.  They didn't know of anyone in town that hones king pins.  Any know of a hot rod shop in Denver that can hone the pins?  Thanks Larry

Good evening:

Many years ago, J.C.Whitney sold kits of king pins with bushings and misc parts.  They also sold a manual reamer that was the size for your kit.  Reamer could be turned with a wrench.  (The bushings are what gets reamed, of course, not the pins, as several post seem to imply.). Possibly hand reamers are still available??

They are. But finding the long one may be a challenge. Most machine shop supply houses will have them. King pin reamer. Need diameter of the king pin. I have a 47 coming for king pins, guess i will be making a video.