Attended Chryslers at Carlise today and Update on Hershey fall swap meet!!!!!!!!!

desoto1939

Today i attended the Chryslers at Carlise event. It was very hot. Mostly more high performance parts that anything for the P15D25 cars.

But I was talking to Ed Speigel who is a Mopar vendor from Pittsburgh.

During our conversation he mentioned that this might be the last year that he will be attending the Hershey event. I asked if he was retiring fromthe business and he said no.

He stated that the Hershey region of the AACA and Herco (Hershey entertainment) have not been able to finalize an agreement for the 2022 Hershey event and it might not be happening and that this years 2021 eastern fall meet might be the last Hershey event.  I was talking with another friend that has some inside information and he also confirmed that there is no contract for 2022.

So this might be the last great experience for what most of us have known as going to MECA andParts Heaven.  As i get more information on this topic I will try to keep everyone updated.

I am really hoping that this is incorrect information but it might be official.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Hope they get that resolved. What a loss it would be to see that event gone.

I have not attended lately but recall driving there in my '38 Dodge

& "late" entering my car at the entrance to the stadium. Can't do that no mo!

I've never been to either Carlisle or Hershey though they are only a few hours away. Had I planned things out better I certainly could have made the Chrysler show. This post makes me think I should really look at taking some vacation time and heading north to Hershey. I'd talked several times with my stepfather about riding up to one of the big shows but we never made it happen and now his health won't let him. 

I'll be at Hershey in October assuming the border is open — my 4th time and according Rich Hartung's source, maybe the last ?

In 2010 my friend and I drove the '47 D25 from Edmonton AB (roughly 400 miles N of Montana) to Hershey and camped in our stall right on the show field. On Saturday we entered the old heap in AACA's massive judged show, category "Historical Preservation of Original Features". Originality was all important, condition hardly at all. Perfect for this car. HPOF cars were judged against a standard, not each other.

Anyway, it would be just great to have a gathering of P15-D24 Members at Hershey 2021, especially since this might be the end of the run for the biggest swap meet on earth. Or at least this version of it.

A lot of groups have theei major—or only—gathering at Hershey. The others I attend are a major Model T Forum get-together (at a T club tent Thursday afternoon) and the Horseless Carriage Club of America (big BBQ lunch for one and all on Friday at their club tent).

Any of us planning a stall at Hershey we could use for a home base?  Or anyone nearby Hershey that wants to coordinate something?

Who's In?

Photos: the '47 at Camp Dodge, Hershey 2010, and in the HPOF field at the big Saturday show... guy in front is explaining that Canadian-market Dodges are Plymouth body shells with Dodge grilles and other trim. Plodges.

Camp Dodge Hershey 2010.jpg

47Plodge Hershey HPOF.jpg

UPDATE REGARDING HERSHEY 2022

This statement is directly from Steve Moskowitz CEO of AACA. He replied back to me late yesterday after emailing him directly and also the current President of the AACA.

image.png.ef6d27f766005f5c51becf2117454c2a.png

Here is a reply from the president of the AACA: Hershey 2022 is still  ON although there are planned changes thought the REGULAR CAR SHOW THAT IS HELD ON SATURDAY WILL NOW BE HELD ON FRIDAY OF THAT WEEK.

SO FROM WHAT I AM UNDERSTANDING THE 2022 HERSHEY EASTERN MEET WILL NOW START A DAY EARLIER AND THE CAR SHOW WILL BE HELD ON A FRIDAY.  SO I THINK THE EVENT WILL START ON A TUESDAY AND END THE FRIDAY.   AS I GET MORE CLARIFICATION I WILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED.

RICH HARTUNG

DESOTO1939@AOL.COM

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any updates Rich?  Also, swap meet is better between the Hersey Fall meet and Carlisle Fall meet?  I went to Hersey a few years back and was a little disappointed bc I had a hard time finding anything I needed.  At that time I was looking for 1950 Chevy parts.  Most of what I saw was pre-war (Ford) stuff.  Is either show good for P15D24 parts?  Thanks.  Dave

2 hours ago, dwest999 said:

Any updates Rich?  Also, swap meet is better between the Hersey Fall meet and Carlisle Fall meet?  I went to Hersey a few years back and was a little disappointed bc I had a hard time finding anything I needed.  At that time I was looking for 1950 Chevy parts.  Most of what I saw was pre-war (Ford) stuff.  Is either show good for P15D24 parts?  Thanks.  Dave

Dave:  Hershey is a good place for the older cars, but when they have carlise the week before most of the same vendors are at Carlise and then travel the short distance to Hershey for the next week.  It is always a hit or miss with the mopar parts no guarantee which show will have more or less.  I prefer Hershey becasue there is no admission or gate fee just to walk the field and search for parts. I know Carlise charge $12-15 per day plus your parking.  Hershey has  no spectator fee but you also have parking.  Hershey is larger with the 4 major fields and is much bigger than carlise.

If you come to Hershey I have a vendor spot inthe Orange field which is the field or parking lot near the outer rows of the Giant indoor Arena.

My site is located in OAD7&8   O= Orange field  row AD  and site number 7&8  Will also be listed under Desoto Parts and Literature.

My parter sells 29 Desoto and 46-48 parts and I specialize in 1939 Desoto and other things.  I also bring a lot of my cross reference manuals and catalogs.

Please stop by and say hello.  The invite is for anyone that comes to Hershey in October 6,7,8.  The 9th is the car show and most of the vendors are packing up or have left the swap meet area to travelback home. Hopefully with less parts and for some of us with more spare parts to hide from our wives.

You never know what you will find at anytime from year to year.