95 Dakota frame swap

This is probably a repeated question but is the 95 Dakota chassis a good choice to sit a 49 pilot house body on?   This is an extended cab Dakota with all running gear.

Yes. The front of the frame will need to be trimmed and you will need to build new body mounts. 

The later daks are great if you plan to basically run them as is with the existing drivetrain. You may or may not need to shorten the wheelbase (section the frame, shorten the driveshaft). The biggest limitation is the bolt pattern of the wheels- it’s not the common 5 on 4.5” ford/mopar so your wheel choices are slim- kinda makes it obvious that it’s a dakota swap and to my eye doesn’t look right with late dak wheels. I think you can swap to 1st gen knuckles and axles to get the common bolt pattern but on mine I just went with a 1987 since I was shoehorning in a big block, backhalfing it, and rebuilding the whole suspension anyway.

The steering and suspension are great though and the track width is miles better than all the crummy s10 swaps with the front wheels tucked a foot inside the fenders looking like a wannabe funny car. 

Great swap though good luck! 

radar

Here's a link to a forum member who is just now finishing his 53 truck on a Dakota frame.

He has multiple posts on his progress, but they are not linked together,so its hard to follow.

The link gives you all the pictures, but you'll have to search his forum name for the commentary.

His build would apply to all B series trucks 48-53. 

His forum name is "Buds Truck".

Buds Pics for 1953 Dakota build.

48D 

• Like 1