Sorry PA

MackTheFinger

But if I was 20 years younger. I'd already be at the old Saltpetre Cave with my sleeping bag beside my Harley, waiting for the band to fire up!! Looking at the lineup this is a really ambitious project. Coming off the heels of the shutdowns it's bound to be a real clusterfxxx, just like I like it!! ?

p.s If you aren't familiar with some of the bands they're all on YouTube somewhere.. I've seen some of 'em live already..

https://southernmostillinois.com/venue/shawnee-cave-amphitheater/

p.s.s. I was just reminded that the ol' Wildwood Flower is legal in Illinois. Can you imagine what this is gonna be like?? 

Edited by MackTheFinger

hey guy...if you happy with it...I am happy for you....!  We do not all have to like the same things....only a few things in common is basically all you need to establish a kinship of a sort.  If I were to travel to Carbondale...it would be just to see my cousin who lives there.  And you were right....I have never heard of any of the noisemakers.....lol     Be ye careful out there among the English....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

p.s If you aren't familiar with some of the bands they're all on YouTube somewhere.. I've seen some of 'em live already..

Yeah probably not what you meant to say.

I would venture we all lived a life and we all lived them our own ways. I would then venture to say your Grandmother wore a mini skirt and go go boots.

Yeah we get by today, our grandparents were way more cool then we are.

3 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Yeah probably not what you meant to say.

I would venture we all lived a life and we all lived them our own ways. I would then venture to say your Grandmother wore a mini skirt and go go boots.

Yeah we get by today, our grandparents were way more cool then we are.

My granny was born sometime around 1885 and died in 1960. I rember her well. No miniskirts then. OTOH I was present for all the fun stuff. Someone gave my wife some pics of our wedding recently. I can honestly say I'd forgotten how shockingly short her maid of honor's dress was!! ?

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

More like my mom, lol.

You guys are making me feel old.. or closer to my age, anyway.. just earlier today I was talking with a friend I hadn't seen for a long time. He said he now has 13 grandkids and his youngest son was finally getting married at 36 years old. This old friend is younger than me!

17 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

p.s.s. I was just reminded that the ol' Wildwood Flower is legal in Illinois. Can you imagine what this is gonna be like?? 

chaos, breaking of the law on every level of the field...enjoy the festival...just be safe...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

3 hours ago, Ulu said:

Cave concerts? 

They had concerts at the old Saltpetre Cave site in the '70s and early '80s. The locals weren't too happy about it and I doubt there was much profit since the place was unsecured and basically nobody paid to get in. The new owners have been working on the property for the last 20 years or so and made a bunch of improvements. 

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

chaos, breaking of the law on every level of the field...enjoy the festival...just be safe...

I doubt there'll be any real trouble. This is basically a blues and gospel line-up. The Blind Boys of Alabama is a straight up gospel group with a history going back to pre WWII, Dumpstaphunk is a New Orleans based group, sort of a continuation of the Neville Brothers, and the North Mississippi All Stars is a new-era blues band. None of them really encourage dangerous craziness. Most of the events I attended in years past were invitation only bike runs. Everyone understood that you should mind your own business and respect everyone else's right to do the same. The ones that allowed the general public to attend were different. The level of respect went way down and problems followed. 

I agree whole heartedly with what you said in your first response.  The world would be better if everyone understood it.

We do not all have to like the same things.. only a few things in common is basically all you need to establish a kinship 

That said, I doubt we'll attend this one. I've seen the three I mentioned earlier in this post and have no desire to put up with the crowd and the heat this time. 

Edited by MackTheFinger

Sounds like a cool concert to go to. Can't really go wrong with Samantha Fish in the lineup. Wouldn't mind a good blues concert in this area. Closest thing to me is Gathering of the Juggalos....

Edited by maddmaxx1949

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if they have the legs....let them show them....I'm not a prude....

ZZ Top - "Legs" ?

3 hours ago, T120 said:

ZZ Top - "Legs" ?

you folks more into it than I ...very very selective to the music I listen to...If I had to name one tune by ZZ Top I would fail miserably....I look at a top 100 billboard of hits and artist and bet I would not recognize 2% of them....music is not as it used to be....

All I know is ICP headlines it and usually brings in there own professional wrestling company as well. It's not too bad out here, just traffic. Wouldn't mind going for a day just to check it out but really not my style.

The one thing I know about being in a cave is you don’t want to make loud noise this is because **** falls down from the roof.

So if you can hold the lid down on that gospel and blues will probably be OK. There are certainly bands I would not invite.

I remember when Alice Cooper played the Bonneville Raceway Park. He was so loud the people of Salt Lake outlawed outdoor rock concerts.

1 hour ago, Ulu said:

The one thing I know about being in a cave is you don’t want to make loud noise this is because **** falls down from the roof

The Saltpetre Cave is really more a bowl scooped out of a cliff face. There was a place called Caveland at Festus, Mo just south of St Louis that had a skating rink and concerts back in the good ol days. MC5, Ted Nugent, Bob Seger, and a bunch of other people played there. I think it was originally a mine. Pretty cool place. Last I heard someone was living there. Maybe Fred and Wilma???

• Haha 1