Things to think about

Sniper

Got the news last night a real good friend of mine, and fellow Mopar fan, passed on.  He's only 6 years older than I, but that's sort of irrelevant in that he died in an accident.  Company van he was coming home in rear ended an overturned semi on I10 out in the williwacks of Arizona.  He wasn't driving and if he was anything like anyone else riding in a company van headed home from a long day he was probably asleep when it happened and it was late at night. 

Thing is, he lots of projects he was going to get around to.  But much like myself other things got in the way and they never happened.  He's probably got about 7 different things going on, project cars, rolling house remodel, garage update with AC, etc.  All not going to get done and he's not going to see the fruits of the labor he's already done.   

As they say about the best laid plans of mice and men.  It got me to thinking, I need to get off my butt and get some stuff done.   

• Like 1

we all be mortal.......I would like to get a few things done but we never know our fate....we just live the best we can....I feel for his family and friends....loss of a loved one or good friend is never easy.  It would be good for all of us to say thanks for what we have...nothing is forever.

• Like 1

Yep, makes one ponder.  A friend, and VP of our local car club, was killed in an accident last month (dump truck he was driving had a blow-out on the Interstate, lost control and rolled it a couple times).  He had just bought another old car that he only had on the road for a week when it happened.  Everyone in the club is older than me by ten years or so, so they're all a little melancholy about what irons they have in the fire now.  Me, too, to some extent.

Sorry to hear of your friend’s death. Terrible. 

I just live life each day as I feel. There is no stuff I “should” get done incase I die.

What I tend to think about doing, is having my affairs set up in the untimely event of my death. Life insurance. A will. My financials are set up so my wife would never have to worry about money, if I expire. 

I make a diligent effort not to horde stuff. So my sons don’t have too much of my crap to deal with. Its a all crap. My rule is if I’m not using it, nor ever see myself wanting it again, off it goes. There’s been many an argument with my wife about saving items. Our kids old toys. Old clothes. Sporting gear. Whatever. Its junk. Let it go. I have very little sentimental ties to items. 

I do have ample opportunity to horde backups of spare Mopar parts. I could readily obtain plenty. I resist the temptation. Especially large parts. 

I accept mortality. I try a little each passing year to deal with it. I make a conscious effort to be sure I don’t leave a massive overwhelming mess for my kin to deal with.  I don’t have a list of stuff I need to “get around to” just in case I expire. 

Everybody is different. We deal with things differently. I understand that. Do your thing in the way that you are comfortable doing.  

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

I look through the local obituaries fairly regularly, it's a sign of age I suppose.. A couple of days ago there was an obit for the brother of one of my old gf's. I bought his '65 Mustang while he was in Vietnam in '69 and the romance ended before he got back. About five years later I stopped by a shop run by a guy I knew pretty well and this tough looking long-haired guy came over, called me by name and said "I've seen your picture before. You're one of my sister's old boyfriends and you bought my car while I was in VN!!" It was a weird moment until he shook my hand, hugged me and said he was glad to finally meet me... He was in Savannah, Ga when he died and I found out that my old gf is somewhere in Texas.. I hope to never run into her again!!

Life is a journey. We all have the same destination, it is the ride and how we get there that matters.

I suspect @Sniper friend enjoyed having the projects and staying busy, he enjoyed his life.

I do agree is something to think about, who will be affected by your passing? My only worry is my wife.

Not just croaking off ... you die and game over. Thats the easy way out.

What if you just lose your ability to earn a living? I never planned to become disabled.

When we are young some like me never think about earning a living.  I call this the house from Hades. I was 48 years old and on top of my game.

This was the house I burned out my back on ... 4 bedrooms, 3 bath, 2 story, 2 car garage  Adition on a 100 year old adobe home in Old town Albuquerque.

While it ruined me, I really love this house ... it is awesome.

Another photo of a kitchen remodel. They wanted the 6 burner gas stove ... yes there was a lot involved, electricians did their job, plumbers did theirs, I was lead carpenter on a crew and we did the rest. I did the drywall, cabinets & tile, paint.

Another photo of a bathroom remodel I did ... I really think it is stupid, but a professor at the local collage wanted this ... Yes Mam.

See where I am going? I never thought I would have to worry about creating a living. I got this sh*t handled!

You never know what cards life will hand you. Dying is the easy way out .... lets get disabled and no longer be able to create a living.

I just never saw it coming. I thought I would work til I die.

Lets be honest here ... I managed for 3 years before I lost my house and became homeless. Been with my wife 36 years and that really hurts.  Her father helped us out for 2 years. Her father supplied us with a travel trailer with no water for 2 years. That is social security making it difficult to retire on disability.

All said and done all is paid for, our house our cars ... we have no bills.  Our life is now great, not really the life we planned. I thought it would be different, same time it is pretty decent. 

So I say death is the easy way out. The journey is what makes us great.

stuffs091.jpg

gearhart 047.jpg

HPIM0102.jpg

• Like 2