Oil Leak from Fuel Pump.

Hello, I have been cleaning my engine and looking for each oil leak to solve each one slowly. Valve tappet covers sealed. But I notice oil from the fuel pump itself. I sealed the mounting interface to engine but no luck. Seems like oils leaks from the pivot pin that goes through the pump housing. Bad design. Anyone find a good solution or a good replacement fuel pump w original look. 

it only take a couple minutes on the average to bush this if you really looking to fix things.....or buy a new one if that is above your level of intervention or even better in my opinion, use an electric pump.  Somewhere you either concede to work/replacement or upgrade if you wish to correct age related issues.  I can see reluctance in a couple of the above if this is a judged for points vehicle.  Even so an electric can be out of sight, the original pump gutted and sealed to allow flow through of fuel and no one would be the wiser.

• Thanks 1

I've never looked closely and too lazy to back to the shop (been welding rust patches and tired) to look.  But is there enough space in the bores to shorten the pivot pin enough to counterbore for a little welch plug?  nearly free and should work fine if possible.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kencombs said:

I've never looked closely and too lazy to back to the shop (been welding rust patches and tired) to look.  But is there enough space in the bores to shorten the pivot pin enough to counterbore for a little welch plug?  nearly free and should work fine if possible.

interesting idea, but I think the walls are too thin.

• Thanks 1

A long while ago i had a lawn tractor come for a repair. Carb issue the dealer couldnt figure out. Turns out a welch plug was missing. Being out in the boonies i turned down a brass bolt and made a snug fitting plug.epoxied it in and it worked perfectly. A good cleaning and a glob of epoxy putty would be a quick fix. 

• Thanks 1

I have studied this problem over the years and have concluded that the flathead mechanical fuel pump falls into the category, that Dad explained to me as a kid when I asked why machines leaked oil, of a device that lets the bad oil out of the engine.  He explained that ya only want good oil in the engine, so it was important to check the oil every day to make sure there was enough oil in the crankcase, and with the bad oil leaks out, to top off with good oil.  He was explaining with reference to the various Briggs & Stratton and Farmall engines that I was being trained on but the advice stuck.

That flathead fuel pump gets oil on the pin to keep it lubricated, and eventually that oil gums up with dust on the fuel pump body but doesn't completely stop the oil leak.  Could this be sealed off as suggested?  Maybe, but the flathead engine technology is concurrent with oil slingers, oil cups, and open lubricated joints to be serviced during lube jobs at the service station, years before contained lubrication systems were mainstreamed.

Sealing the mounting gasket and mounting bolt threads can drastically reduce oil leakage at the fuel pump, but that durn pin may have been purposely designed to weep to keep oil passing over it.  This weeping could be keeping contaminants from accumulating which could lead to premature wear on the pin and pump body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

it only take a couple minutes on the average to bush this if you really looking to fix things.....or buy a new one if that is above your level of intervention or even better in my opinion, use an electric pump.  Somewhere you either concede to work/replacement or upgrade if you wish to correct age related issues.  I can see reluctance in a couple of the above if this is a judged for points vehicle.  Even so an electric can be out of sight, the original pump gutted and sealed to allow flow through of fuel and no one would be the wiser.

I would agree with these thoughts of bushing the original or better yet leaving original as a decoy and using electric pump.   While talking about Sealing oil leaks, anybody have experience changing rear main seal top & bottom without pulling engine? 

On 7/9/2021 at 4:56 AM, ggdad1951 said:

interesting idea, but I think the walls are too thin.

Yes I thought exactly this idea as well, weld the surface are just a bit. I already sealed all mounting bolts & gasket, but still a sizable leak. Thanks for the good ideas