Identify carburetor brand and model

Carl-Gustav
Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

Hi guys!

I've tried to find the answer to my question with no succes ?

I know that at least one of you must be able to identify wich carburetor I have in my New Yorker 47. I'm buying a restoration kit but need to know wich one first ?

So,  it's a Chrysler New Yorker 47, 8 cyl. Se attached pics and hope someone knows something ?

IMG_20210706_200518.jpg

Your carburetor should be a Carter 1 BBL model E7A1.

This is stamped into the carb air horn top. Angle portion.

• Solution

Only the 1946 TO early 47 Chrysler NewYorker eights  used the Stromberg  2BBL carburetor directly mounted to the 2BBL intake manifold.

Your late 1947  Carter 1 BBL carburetor is mounted on the factory installed two to one BBL adapter bolted to the correct 2 BBL intake manifold.

This was a late 1947 Chrysler eight cylinder engineering change .....eliminating the 2BBL Stromberg going to the 1 BBL Carter carburetor.

In 1949 Chrysler re-designed the "8" cylinder  intake to a 1 BBL eliminating the two to one  carb adapter.

The Carter 1BBL now bolted directly to the 1 BBL intake.

There is your Chrysler "8" lesson for the week!?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Your carburetor should be a Carter 1 BBL model E7A1.

This is stamped into the carb air horn top. Angle portion.

that just shot a big hole in the Motors manual data for the era as listed in their application chart carburetor section......lol.....but does explain why I could not find an AAV kit for the 48......

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Lotsa confusion on the Chrysler eight's design changes.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

46 minutes ago, Carl-Gustav said:

Hmmm....so, Stromberg or Carter... Back to starting position ??... I'll look att the top in a little while then ?

my apologies.....my reference book was wrong and seems to have been for 8 years after that running change was made with no correction.....I have done a pen and ink change to my reference manual to reflect the correct carb listing.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

OK this questions for anybody who knows carter's.  Not to Hi jack the thread but I have noticed that on many Carter Carbs like these some of them have the small squares on the triangular fin punched out indifferent patterns. Some have no punches, some have 1 punched but some are in the first spot some in the middle, some have two opened up also in differing patterns, and some have them all opened up. 

Does this signify anything like maybe main jet size or other significant info?