D30 rims not all same

Rodney_Hamon

So I am puzzled. Did 1949 dodge coronets have 2 different size rims?  6” and 6 1/2” ?  I have a ‘36 dodge truck that had these rims on them since 1975. I purchased that D-30, if that is the correct designation, back in ‘75 and got the engine and wheels off it. It was pretty original then. I would never do that again though as I was just a dumb 20 yr old. Anyway, I just finished cleaning and painting them and just now noticed the height difference. 2 of this and 2 of that. Well, it worked before so I guess it will fit again. But I am curious if those rims had been switched sometime in it’s life before me. Ha

CF2BD1B4-E94A-4263-8F58-942E5FF33B0F.jpeg

D30 rims were probably 4-1/2" wide as from the factory.

the rims pictured are not the size stated and calling about to get a matching rim by your means of measuring will get you the incorrect rims yet again.  Rim widths are measured inside rim flange, bead to bead...record your measurements there to ensure you inquire of the correct width when doing your search.  Staggered wheels are common on many muscle cars....don't want to mix and match these per axle...keep them same size on each axle.  Wider application on a stagger is the rear....rotating tires can cause a bit of odd look maybe.

Thanks everyone for clarification and a link to a good read.  I certainly won’t be rotating these wheels diagonally. Ha.  Personally, I thought ‘41 Willys, ‘56 and a couple ‘69 Chevies looked good with “slightly” larger wheels on the back. I wonder if Les Shwab Tires still does that special on rim restoration. My original artillery rims could use that! 

Just now, Rodney_Hamon said:

I wonder if Les Shwab Tires still does that special on rim restoration.

I agree with the others, 1949 they had the Bias ply tires and 4.5" rim widths. Seems my 52 plymouth had 16" wheels with 4.5. Then my B1C 3/4 ton truck had 15" wheels that were 5" .... little fuzzy on the memory.  But they were not using 6" wheels on 1949 mopars is my bet.

If you show a picture of the center of the wheel will tell the story.  The original wheels will have clips near the wheel bolts to hold the hub cap on.

Later wider wheels will have nubs on the outside to hold a hub cap on.

I suspect you have the later wider wheels from the 60's-70's ... I dunno it may be possible yours are original ... I think how the hub cap mounts may tell the story.

0708211055.jpg

wheel.jpg

I forgot to add, about 15 years ago Goodyear truck centers also offered a wheel reconditioning service. At least the one in Spokane did and I assume others.

They had a system where the wheels would be sandblasted, inspected and painted.

Les Shaub use to be Oregon, Washington, Idaho ... maybe they expanded now ... not seen them here in Texas.

With most wheels going away from steel it may no longer be available.

The 4 mystery rims off that D-30 had the sexy wheel covers (what year are those?) that I really liked. They looked awesome on my truck. I didn’t care if I went from 16” stock dn to 15” custom. The extra 9D5A4767-0412-47F7-B3BE-9818A14A01E4.jpeg.9640392878cff069b5d835f02c28c966.jpegrim has the hubcap clips on it still and the wheel cover fits just in case I need to use as a spare.  The important thing is those 4 rims are not bent and should balance nice with whatever tire I go with.