Flywheel nuts?

maddmaxx1949
Go to solution Solved by 61spit,

Bit of a stupid question here but I'm curious. I had nuts that came off my fluid drive coupling ('49 coronet) and I can't for the life of me find the same ones anywhere. They measure 7/16-20 thread, 5/8" width/wrench size and the hard to find part is that they are 3/8" thick. Any word on where to find these? I've already been through McmasterCarr and Grainger.

The ones on my '51 were 19/32 and I don't want to mix and match.

Followup question, do most of you just use a standard 7/16-20 , 11/16" nut?

• Solution

You might try Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. for aviation type hardware. There are thin check nuts or hex nuts - low height. I don't know how thick they are but they are thinner than a standard nut.

www.aircraftspruce.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow this is why I love this forum. Found them in less than 5 minutes Thanks 61spit!

Edit: for those looking the nut number is AN315-7 plain hex nut

Edited by maddmaxx1949
part no.
  • Like 1

I did check the options for jam nuts but all I found were either on 1/4" thick or less and/or 11/16" wrench size. I looked a long time, it was a pain lol.  Why so much effort for these nuts? I'm sure most people would just throw on a standard size and go but its just the way I am I guess. Got to be a little crazy to work on some of this stuff

Glad you found something that will work. Maybe a bit more expensive because it is aircraft approved but if it works and the price is OK then that's all that matters.

Update: Recieved the nuts and they are the same except ever so slightly thicker maybe 1/32" which is plenty close for my standards. Other than that right on. I didn't end up ordering from the company mentioned above but they should be the same.