When to replace upper/lower control arm bushings, pins, shafts? 1950 Plymouth, P-20

50PlymP-20

I'm a newbie...but have been researching topics on this forum (very helpful!!). I'm working my way through cleaning the gunk off of the front suspension of my 1950 Plymouth 4-door sedan, Special Deluxe (P-20). I know how to check for bad tie rod ends but how do you know when to replace the upper & lower control arm bushings, pins, shafts? I lifted/twisted the upper/lower control arms and didn't feel any play. However, I did feel some vertical play on one of the king pins.

Car has ~60k miles and in fairly good original condition. Any advise?? Thanks!!

King pins and tierod ends wear the quickest & get replaced much more than the upper/lower inners tho' the lower outer does tend to wear as well, support the car on stands then also support the tyres, insert a large screwdriver or tyre iron between the fixed bushes and A arms and see if there is any wear by levering against the shafts..........thats how I check for wear..........andyd  

Yes.

Do it now and be done with it. You have the front clip off the car now,and it will NEVER be easier for you to clean,paint,and rebuilt everything. It really doesn't cost that much to do,and once you have done it,that is one more thing you can check off the list of things that you will need to do in your lifetime.

If it were me,I would even either take the springs to a big truck repair shop to have them redone,or just buy new springs.

New shocks,too.

It is sooooo much easier to do this stuff with the car on the ground and nothing in the way.

Pull the engine and trans while you are at it,and install new mounts.

Nothing like having an old car that looks and rides like a new car,with no squeaks,rattles,or shakes.

When I fully disassembled the front suspension on my ‘53 I asked the same question. A long time mechanic told me to check the bushings with  my thumb nail. If they would indent, do not change. They are better than current new ones! 

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check the wear like Andy and pflaming suggested but will probably order the replacement kit...as well as king pins (thanks, andy). 

The engine/tranny are already out and engine is at the machine shop. Bought new Moog Aerostar CC850 coils. ECI front brake conversion w/dual reservoir MC is on order. Ordering new motor mounts.

Want to relocate shocks and have seen many posts about it (mounts and suggested shocks)...but still not sure which shock mounts to use. I'm not able to fab them like several folks have done. I've seen the Rusty Hope shock mounts plus Summit and Speedway...just not sure yet. Suggestions?

Pic of front end as of today:

1243793823_50Plymfrontend(July2021).jpg.f4740aa4dd9f0b56ddb857c8bf1097f2.jpg