Clutch Disk center distance

maddmaxx1949

A tale of two clutch disks. About a year ago I had a disk built for me and installed it on my '49. Its still in the rebuild process but I was having to depress the pedal all the way to the floor to get any separation at all. I recently pulled a disk and fluid drive off a '51 and noticed that the center spline section is decently wider. In the first photo, you can see the disk closest is raised quite a bit more than the other. about 1 - 3/8" compared to ~1". My question is, does this extra distance make a difference on where the throwout bearing engages the pressure plate?

Also side question, should I be able rattle the throwout bearing on the sleeve with my hand or does that mean its time for replacement?

20210704_192726.jpg.d0b367082e0b71efe6cd8ace63151c08.jpg20210704_192716.jpg.bfe99b6a35a16d775c642ac529d93bb4.jpg20210704_192731.jpg.e4670b93a5cb4b73a68d618fb623ccdf.jpg

I have a Borg-waner clutch and pressure plate catalog. I need the following info to determine the correct clutch plate: What is the Model number on your car such as d29,d30 etc.

Is it Fluid drive or standard is this a canadian car.

Get back to me at Desoto1939@aol.com

rich hartung

2 hours ago, Dartgame said:

If you can shake your release bearing and it rattles, its probably bad.

Thank you, thats kind of what I figured, but I didn't have a good reference. All three I had lying around did that so I was not sure. Would I be surprised if they were all bad? Absolutely not....? ....perks of putting everything together from old barn find parts.

Edited by maddmaxx1949

Also I did forget to mention, the problem could have largely been due to the bracket I fabricated to hold the pivot arm. If you look in my other thread on the rebuild,

you can see I made a bracket that holds it because I couldn't find the orginal. This was not made correctly and having found my original, it moved the pivot arm up about an inch which also straightened the angle it pushes against the release lever. This could very well have been my issue but I won't know until it goes back together.