R10 Overdrive

Labrauer

I have a 48 Plymouth coupe with a R10 overdrive that I'm having a problem with. The car has been changed over to 12 volts so I was told that the wiring to the R10 is different from the 6 volt system. I installed a flip switch on the dash that I flip to make the R10 go into overdrive and it does kill the engine but the only trouble is that the engine stays off unless I flip the switch back off and the R10 doesn't go into overdrive gear. When I do this procedure I have the overdrive cable handle pulled out. I had a wiring diagram once but I have lost it somewhere in our move. If anyone has the wiring diagram and can shed some light on how I can fix this Please enlighten me.

From the acc terminal of the ign switch through your toggle to power the switched side of the relay.

From the battery side of the solenoid to the power side of the relay.  From the power side of the relay to terminal 6 on the solenoid. From the od solenoid to the governor.   The switch should be ON with the cable pushed in. There are two sets of contact switches in the od solenoid.  On is the pull in circuit and the second is the hold in. In the 6v system the pull in needs about 10 to 12 amps, the hold in is connected internally by the pull in then it releases when the hold is engages.  There is another terminal on the solenoid #4 I believe it is for the kick down circuit which you don't have hooked up.

I think this schematic is available in the downloads section.  I have posted my version of it a couple times in threads similar to yours, so it should be searchable.  I have changed tablets an lost my illustration.  Hope this helps.

I don't engage my electrics until I push in the cable.  Also I switch off before pulling the cable out.

Now that I think about it the #4 terminal goes from the solenoid  to the cable switch then to the governor.

• Like 1

First and foremost DON"T JURY RIG IT! Get rid of the "flip switch"

Send me your email and I will send you a scan of the Dodge Manual. (this site limits the size of files sent and the manual is too large)

There's an excellent color wiring diagram available free from one of the suppliers (they specialize in 12 volt conversions as I recall).

B-W Automatic Overdrive is a wonderful thing and of all cars that it was available on the Plymouth benefits most from it.

The only exception is when it is jury rigged, then it's on the fast spiral to the scrap pile.

As I told one guy I sent the manual to, "I am on a mission to get every Overdrive hooked up right!"

• Like 1

Thanks to all you guys and ladies that responded to my question. I will take follow each response and see what I can find out. 

Hallo Larry,

my Ply Service manual 1946-1953 shows diagrams in the chapter "15 - transmission / overdrive" on page 177    "6. overdrive electrical system".

The diagram is split in 3 separate parts, so I was able to understand its workflow easily.

I don´t have copyrights - are they needed here for original CDPD publications?

Anyhow, I send You a scan attached to a message!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go