beef my Desoto 228 for Dallas highways.

usmc1972

I want to add some boost to my original 228 so I can make my 1940 a daily driver . Needs to handle the Dallas/Ft Worth highway system. I know getting more pressure would help. Recommendations from all of you in the know. Andy Bernbaum has a list of parts that he is selling that are bored over or undersize to get the extra power I want. Since it does get hot here, I want to add after market a/c. Does anyone have recommendations or have done the same thing I'm trying to do? I am tearing the engine down now and the block seems to be in good shape. Some of the parts seem worn but that is expected. I have heard of after market items from back then people used. Does anyone know what I am talking about ?

A 1940 Desoto is a very cool car. I can't image the engineers ever had any intentions of it seeing Dallas Hi-way speeds in 2021. 

I am not sure what you are working with there now. Thinking about Dallas freeway travel: Have you thought about brakes? Suspension? Steering? The need to keep your body in one piece when travelling at 70+ MPH?

These are not things the engineers had in mind when the car was designed. It can be done. It won't be cheap. My advice is to consider all the areas that need improvment.

Not just engine power and speed. Maybe tell us a little more about the current state of the car .

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

Working backwards I'd suggest disc brakes to improve the stopping power, an overdrive gearboxto help the engine survive by reducing revolutions, a lower numerical rear axle ratio, increased compression either with a milled stock head or a finned head, ideally to bring it up to around 8 or 8.5 to 1, an extra carburetor on a twin carb manifold to increase power, a HEI ignition for more spark, a good balance of reciprocating parts, ie, crank,rods, pistons & flywheel, twin outlet headers for better gas flow, remove the engine driven fan & install an electric fan, a set of radial tyres on slightly wider wheels, ie 15x6 and 15 x 7" withy 195/15 and 235/15 radial tyres, rebuilt front end, low restriction exhaust..............and so on............I know what you are talking about.........lol...........but it does take some effort either by doing it yourself or paying someone .........I took the "di it myself" way but it still cost a few $$$$$$$$$ but my 1940 Dodge has been rodded since the mid 70's.......andyd      

P1010403.JPG

• Like 1

This one here looks like a good option to me: https://www.brakelighter.com/brakelighter-6v-antique-car-3rd-light-p/tl-6.htm

I keep trying to order one and have it shipped to Canada. Seems they have no interest. They must be flat out trying to keep up with orders within the USA alone.

I've been driving my 53 all over northern California. City,freeways, 110 degrees no problem. It is bone stock and no third brake light. I ride motorcycles a lot too and I figure it to be about the same. Just drive it and  pay attention because nobody else is. If you are planning on going 80, zipping in and out of traffic and doing panic stops all day, just stick with a modern car. If you're looking to have a nice reliable cruiser, overdrive tranny, front discs and a rear end swap should get you comfortable on the highway. I'm not sure what is available for your motor but dual carbs and dual exhaust couldn't hurt in the power department. Good luck and how about a picture of your car?

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

This one here looks like a good option to me: https://www.brakelighter.com/brakelighter-6v-antique-car-3rd-light-p/tl-6.htm

I keep trying to order one and have it shipped to Canada. Seems they have no interest. They must be flat out trying to keep up with orders within the USA alone.

I have one of these on my 39 Desoto and they are easy to wire into your existing brake lights and turn signals. I use the suction cup method to hold it onto my back window.

I also use two bicycle rear red lights that clip onto my license plate and they blink. They are great at night and even during the daytime.  Also have several reflective strips that wrap around my rear bumper and they are in yellow and the red colors and they shine up brightly at night time when a headlight hits them.

OK so you want more power out of your 40 Desoto. The cast iron head makes about 92 HP when the engine was new and fresh.  So now you have milesage and age on the motor.  By adding dual carbs, split exhaust, disk brakes, newer rear end, radial tires, convert to 12 volt for better lighting maybe rack and piniion steering.  Just figure the cost and time for all of these changes and then you still have the original frame under the car and maybe modifications to that.

I would say to leave  the car as is fix the engine but keep it original you can still travel at 55-60 down the road.  Go purchse a more modern car maybe from the mid 60-70's it would still be an antique car but would be a 12 volt system, more reliable and can handle the speeds that you need to travel.

Also note that most antique car insurance companies will not insure an antique car to be used as daily driver.  and the antiques need to be garaged over night.

I have a 39 Desoto and my highway speed is around 50 MPH.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

My ‘38 Chysler with OD cruises along nicely at 60-65.  It’ll probably go faster too. Yet for whatever reason, I have no desire to do so. I many cases as the miles pass, you have a lot more in the rear view mirror. Things you have passed. It alters your perspective about what you want to see coming at you thru the windshield. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

I have a 39 Desoto and my highway speed is around 50 MPH.

50 mph will get you run over in DFW.  The office I work out of, on paper anyway, is in Grapevine, which is on the north side of the DFW metroplex, so I get to drive thru that stuff about 3 times a year.  80+ is not uncommon and the idiots abound.  Doesn't bother me in the company truck, zero attachment.  But if I were considering driving a classic on the highway there, it'd be the Deathmobile from Animal House.     

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

50 mph will get you run over in DFW.  The office I work out of, on paper anyway, is in Grapevine, which is on the north side of the DFW metroplex, so I get to drive thru that stuff about 3 times a year.  80+ is not uncommon and the idiots abound.  Doesn't bother me in the company truck, zero attachment.  But if I were considering driving a classic on the highway there, it'd be the Deathmobile from Animal House.     

Sniper: I totally agree with what you are saying. But i do not use my 39 Desoto as a daily driver around the Philadelphia area.  Yes even around here people with modern cars are way past the legal speed limits, cutting in and out cutting you short and race from red traffic light to the next red  traffic light and then I just pullup behind them or next to them and then just look over at them.  I always stay to the slow lane and use less traveled roads when ever possible..  But I do have the legal right to be on the roads but with due caution front, rear and side.  I also have the duty to be respectful of the faster drivers and idiots so try to be respectful of their rights also.

So with people that have antique cars that want to travel at 70+ MPH it something that might be 60-80 years old is very dangerous for themselves and the cars also around them.  The older cars were not ment for those types of speed and were not setup to the 80MPH speeds, the geometry of the frame, steering suspension, rims, tires were meant for around 50-55 Max.

So what I am trying to say is that if you want a classic car then get a hotrod that has been done by a professional HR builder that has all of the bells a whistles. So think of it this way. In your younger years when in High school or College and if you ran track you had all of timeing amuscle to run fast jump hurdles do sprints and could revcover quickly uf there was a problem. and you could compete in several events at the same event.  But now you are 50-60 years older same body, the legs are tired, the muscle reaction is not the quick you recoup time is longer, you train agian and get in shape as a 50-60 year old guy. You have put on all the new fancy wind reducing clothes, lighter track shoes,etc, But now you are trying to compete against the young studs of 18-22 year old.  You get left in the dust and can not keep up with the guys and you are a hazard to the group.  It is hard to face reality but everything gets older and has it place and the same goes with antique car. Souping thme up is fun for some guys and be it so, But the car is still an old car and can not safely run with the big boys you get outclassed.  So step back and enjoy the ride with the old cars becasue life is not standing still for any of us, but you better enjoy the moments that you have because they are so precious.

My oldest daughter just had her first baby and my first grad daughter. I have come to the reasoning the the need for speed is not required, but safety on my part is required. I do not want to be going 80 MPH on my way to her home to see her and be involved in an accident and possibly be killed. So it might take me another 15 minutes longer but at least I feel safe and have a great chance of visiting and holding and playing with my grand daughter. At some point in time we all see the light at the tunnel as it gets brighter as we near the end of our journey so why make it come any faster.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

Rich, what you say makes sense.  But for the first 3-4 years of my driving life I rode a motorcycle almost exclusively.  One thing I learned is that you have to drive it like everyone is deliberately trying to kill you.  That taught me to be very aware of what everyone is doing all around me.

Same applies in DFW but in a classic you cannot out accelerate, out handle or out stop the idiots out there.  Just something to think about while driving.  Heck, I had some clueless wonder back out in front of me from their driveway when I was driving the 51 down my street.  Had to get on the brakes hard to avoid an accident.  Doubt I was even doing 30.  

• Like 1

most of you folks just need to burn your danged old cars and get on with life....it is not at 50 MPH is rush hour traffic where even the cops cruise by you at 80-85MPH...sure, you have the right to be there...you have the right die on the spot; you have the right to die in an ambulance on the way to the emergency room also.....as for some of the other comments...again....these cars can do a lot better than you think...you just however often do not do the level of maintenance needed for modern driving...cars improved as the roads did...if you don't improve your car to match the conditions of operation arena,  then your self stated rights just become your own liability...time and place folks....time and place....for some of the old geezers driving these cars I have seen tighter turning and higher speeds at the carnival midway for 7 years and younger patrons.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, usmc1972 said:

I want to add some boost to my original 228 so I can make my 1940 a daily driver . Needs to handle the Dallas/Ft Worth highway system...

DFW is flooded with uninsured motorists who are known to flee accident scenes.  Look at your competition on them highways:  300hp fuel injected SUVs and pickups with 4 wheel disc brakes and road hugging suspensions...you can spend a small fortune trying to compete with the lead foots and then ya get rearended by some laborer on his 3rd Bud for breakfast or sideswiped by some hipster doofus tiktoking how awesome his coif is that day, even though it's so ratchet hot :rolleyes:

I don't want to rain on your parade but these are real world considerations to be made.  If $$$ is no object, then yes the flathead can be hotrodded, brakes can be updated, and it takes a lotta planning to make it all come together.  But 200hp is pie in the sky...8:1 CR, 2bbl carb + dual exhaust, and a PCV system makes that engine respectable.

I drive in the Metroplex a few times a year (2020excepted), as I have a daughter, grand-daughter and greats there.  I can attest to the need to drive 70-80 and stop on a dime as a real need.  I don't plan to  drive my 56 flathead truck down there as I don't plan an independent suspension and still debating brake systems. 

Sniper probably remembers what 360 is like! 

Maybe if it had a V8,  front clip with good steering, disk brakes and no killer steering column, but not without.

• Like 1

Yank off the body, drop it on an S10 chassis, stuff in an LS and Bob's your uncle..

I remember spending what seemed like a week sitting in Friday rush hour traffic fleeing Dallas while earlier that day I was in fear for my life on the Expressway. I'm glad I don't live there or any other city. 

Edited by MackTheFinger

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

most of you folks just need to burn your danged old cars and get on with life....

Are we turning on each other?  A song lyric comes to mind. Live and let die.

no ...being realistic...you expect to drive in traffic be prepared for the very traffic you will encounter....this means brakes, speed, visibility, ability to hold your lane without massive drifting and everything...I like the older cars...I like seeing them out and about...what I do not like is seeing the 'near misses' occurring involving these older cars only alert and agile cars often prevent.....sure the bobbers and weavers are a nuisance....the 'bagos and the campers, they deserve some finger pointing also.....tailgaters.....learn to chew tobacco...they back off fast then....

18 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

no ...being realistic...you expect to drive in traffic be prepared for the very traffic you will encounter....this means brakes, speed, visibility, ability to hold your lane without massive drifting and everything...I like the older cars...I like seeing them out and about...what I do not like is seeing the 'near misses' occurring involving these older cars only alert and agile cars often prevent.....sure the bobbers and weavers are a nuisance....the 'bagos and the campers, they deserve some finger pointing also.....tailgaters.....learn to chew tobacco...they back off fast then....

If I could afford an Art  Morrison chassis......discs, ifs, irs, that is my dream anyway. What I do have is a dak front end and a road runner rear end converted 11 inch drums....steers and stops nicely.

The old ifs with the floaty ride is nostalgic but I live in a 500,000 population and there are no easy ways out of town for a cruise......sweaty brow, white knuckled, hunched over the wheel praying my 1947 brakes won’t fade on me.....do I miss those days?

NO!

My "CRUISER" is a 1937 DeSoto convertible.  It has an S-15 motor with a Nicson 2x1 intake, factory aluminum head, split exhaust manifold, and dual exhaust.  The ticket on these cars is to get the RPM's down which means an overdrive transmission or drop the rear end ratio.  I also have a 1933 DeSoto without overdrive transmission.  When I went to replace the tires I went with a taller white wall.  Coker offers two different diameters of 15" wide white wall tires, one is 24" and the other is 27".  The taller tire helped a bunch and in my opinion fill the wheel wells better.  My '37 has an overdrive and it cruises easily at 65 mph turning right at 220 rpm.  For drivability, one of the biggest improvements I made was switching to modern gas shocks, really improved the handling.  Braking can be an issue, but for those of us old enough one of things we were taught in Driver's Education class was to think ahead and try to anticipate other driver's moves, which can help keep you out of trouble.  

70474578-770-0@2X.jpg

IMG_6667.JPG

• Like 4

I was not out to bust anyone's chops on the above statement but every week we get comments on my car sounds too busy.....I do not think I should drive it above 60 and in truth 50 is where it seems comfortable.  All valid...all understood and appreciated to the fact at least you are somewhat tuned into your car.   The comment was solely on safety aspect and WHEN AND WHERE to safely drive your vehicle.  My major metro areas I am in and about are Atlanta and Charlotte.....and neither is in my older cars and I do my best to make my travel through these areas in less congested conditions.  I do this because I am often towing one of my old cars recently purchased through these areas and know well how important ability to respond safely and quickly to some discourteous driver (Charlotte is bad).    I will say that in Atlanta I have never been denied a lane change on the spot while towing my trailer, while quick moving and crowded...Atlanta still is not that bad to traverse.  The traffic is always at a somewhat crowded state unless very early traveling...if going north...I am usually on the outskirts going north by 6:30 in the AM....

To clarify my statement above:  "My ‘38 Chrysler with OD cruises along nicely at 60-65.  It’ll probably go faster too. Yet for whatever reason, I have no desire to do so."

That does not imply that I am driving at 45-50 mph on the interstate.

I have yet to drive my '38 on multi-lane high speed, hi-ways. I drive it in town and on single lane country roads. I have no desire to drive it on interstate roads or be in anyone's way.  My car offers great feel and road feedback at up to 50 mph. Beyond that, it starts to feel a little less stable. Getting progressively worse as speed increases. Having about an 8" square contact patch between the tire and the road likely contributes to that. Sure it'll go faster. Higher rates of speed is not exciting to me. Nor is the sudden stop if a crash occurs. So I stay away from dangerous driving conditions with my stock car. I drive it how it was engineered to be driven. I stay out of the way of others and happily cruise up to 55 or so MPH whenever I am comfortable.

If I wanted something that travelled better at higher speeds and stopped on a dime, I'd have considered a different car than my '38 Chrysler.

Edited by keithb7

My '33 is pretty close to bone stock and it will cruise all day at 60 to 65 but is much more comfortable at lower speeds. Unfortunately, where I currently am in the southern part of the Los Angeles mega-mess makes freeway driving a requirement for at least a couple of directions when getting out of town.

I have found a trick that helps but it only works in California and even then not always. California has a 55 MPH speed limit for anything towing a trailer including 18 wheel semi-tractor trailer combinations. The truckers don’t go that slow, they usually are just under 65 MPH. (My guess is that keeping just below the “10 over the limit” keeps them from getting tickets and if they get a ticket for that it is not a big deal.) Anyway, the result is that all light duty vehicle drivers keep an eye out for slow moving semis and usually change lanes well in advance of getting behind a big truck. Which makes a big truck a pretty good vehicle for me to follow in my '33. The acceleration, braking, etc. on my '33 is not all that different from that of a loaded semi so I can follow them at a safe distance. The semi provides a very visible and known type rolling obstacle/road block which keeps most light duty vehicle drivers away from me.

Unfortunately none of this helps the OP with driving on Texas freeways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

Unfortunately none of this helps the OP with driving on Texas freeways.

Actually, this might help.  Most 18 wheelers, or at least a lot of them, seem to be governed to 65 mph.  So it might work here too.  A point I had not considered.