costs over time

bach4660

It was wondering today while I was pumping gas into my 1950 B2D what gas cost in 1950 and I found a figure of .22 cents per gallon.

So if my truck was $1400 in 1950, but instead of buying the truck I just bought $1400 of gas which is about 6000 gallons that 6000 gallon tank would have a value of $40,000 (our gas is $6.42 per gallon) today.

I would still choose the truck, and driving over the gas but thinking maybe I should put a gas station sized tank under my backyard.

Sadly that kind of thinking will send you to the funny farm.

I remember when Grandpa filled all his gas tanks in his junk yard. What a mess for others to clear out .. That was in the 70's ... Gas has a shelf life.

I personally steer clear of any price calculations I spend on my project truck  ... not really what it is about ... I would go crazy if I kept track of monies spent on it.

Cheapest I remember gas was 36 cents a gallon ... it quickly jumped over a dollar and never went back down. Storing todays crap gas is the least favorite thing I have on my to-do list.

14 minutes ago, 1950 Special Deluxe said:

When I was just getting into motorcycles, I was 14. In Canada $6.00 could fill a 5 gallon (Imperial) gas can or buy 12 beer. We think we have tough decisions to make now. 

Here is an even worse decision @1950 Special Deluxe........6 pack of good beer or a 24 of ice cold crappy beer.....lol.

33 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

6 pack of good beer or a 24 of ice cold crappy beer

As a sailor I can definitely stated that after about 3 or 4 beers, varies with the individual, they all start tasting the same.  So I drink a few good ones then follow up with the crappy ones.

• Like 3

I look at it this way: (It helps my little pea brain grasp the subject of inflation)

In 1940, say you spent a $1,000 on a brand new Desoto car. Good choice!

What if you put that $1000 in an envelope in 1940? You hid it under a mattress, and you pulled it out today, it's still only $1000. You wont get much for it compared to 1940.

Suppose for example, back in 1940 you put that $1000 into the hands of a trusted investor. He worked that money buying stocks and bonds. Mutual funds. Whatever.

Even if some years you saw a lousy rate of investment growth, that original $1000 should now be worth the price of a brand new car today. Give or take a little.

In the original example the 1950 truck was $1400. Can you get a new truck today for $60,000? The value that was pegged as today's fuel prices in post 1 above.  I'd say yes, you can get a new truck for $60,000. 2 wheel drive. Basic truck with few options. Still, it's going to be way more plush than a 1950.

Hiding cash in a mattress, does little good. Unless the apocalypse arrives. So far that hasn't happened. 

Edited by keithb7

I remember buying Dubble Bubble for 1 cent/piece. We’re talking late 50’s/early 60’s. I was super mad when if doubled in price to 2 cents. Not sure what it costs today. I haven’t chewed gum in decades, probably close to 60 years. 

18 hours ago, Sniper said:

As a sailor I can definitely stated that after about 3 or 4 beers, varies with the individual, they all start tasting the same.  So I drink a few good ones then follow up with the crappy ones.

Yes indeed, I have used this many times....lol.

18 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Hiding cash in a mattress, does little good. Unless the apocalypse arrives. So far that hasn't happened. 

i turn a fair bit of my cash into other assets, especially lead encased in brass.  so far, it has been a pretty good investment, and it is apocalypse-ready.